Welcome to the new Schneider Electric Community

It's your place to connect with experts and peers, get continuous support, and share knowledge.

• Explore the new navigation for even easier access to your community.
  • Bookmark and use our new, easy-to-remember address (community.se.com).
  • Get ready for more content and an improved experience.

Contact SchneiderCommunity.Support@se.com if you have any questions.

Close
Invite a Co-worker
Send a co-worker an invite to the Exchange portal.Just enter their email address and we’ll connect them to register. After joining, they will belong to the same company.
Send Invite Cancel
84424members
353613posts

DHCP on PM8000

Metering & Power Quality

Collaborate with multiple experts and discuss various topics about Power Meters and Power Quality. From design & implementation to troubleshooting and more, get support from experts and share your experiences by subscribing to the Schneider Electric Exchange forum today.

Solved
sesa74337_bridg
Lt. Commander Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander
0 Likes

DHCP on PM8000

Hi, All,

I just try to understand in what situation we need DHCP for the meter, specially for the meter in PME system. If the meter IP is assigned by a DHCP server and you commissioned in PME, when you have power outage to the Network Switch or you replace a faulty meter, you probably will get a different IP address. I don't think PME can update the meter IP automatically right? To me, when we commission a large site with a lot of meters, it probably will be efficient with DHCP feature enabled on the meter to quickly get the IP address assigned to the meter, but once the meter get the IP address, you need to record the assigned IP and change it back to static IP mode before you add into PME, is that right?

Thank you

Regards,

James Rong

Accepted Solutions
Hal_Etheridge
Janeway Janeway
Janeway

Re: DHCP on PM8000

Instead of an IP address being typed into PME you would use a hostname.  This hostname I believe is a setup register on the PM8000 and is given to the DHCP server when the IP address is assigned.  The DHCP server in the background will register the hostname IP address mapping with the local DNS server to allow this to be seemless for you.

Note that PME has had hostname resolving implemented for many years so this should work for any supported version available.

See Answer In Context

1 Reply 1
Hal_Etheridge
Janeway Janeway
Janeway

Re: DHCP on PM8000

Instead of an IP address being typed into PME you would use a hostname.  This hostname I believe is a setup register on the PM8000 and is given to the DHCP server when the IP address is assigned.  The DHCP server in the background will register the hostname IP address mapping with the local DNS server to allow this to be seemless for you.

Note that PME has had hostname resolving implemented for many years so this should work for any supported version available.