BACnet MSTP Capture Application
Andover Continuum, EcoStruxure Building Operation, TAC IA Series, TAC Vista
Any Bacnet MSTP Network
The BACnet MSTP capture application provides the ability to analyze data communications between devices anytime issues are suspected on the network.
Download the latest version.
- Browse to Steve Karg's BACnet Protocol Stack - Browse /bacnet-tools at SourceForge.net
- Select the version folder
- Select bacnet-tools-[n.n.n].zip file to download it
- From the zip file, extract mstpcap.exe
Now you can use it via command prompt as described below or install it in C:\Program Files\Wireshark\extcap if want to use with modern Wireshark version.
To capture data follow these steps:
- Unzip file
- Open command prompt with window pointing at location of mstpcap.exe file. For example: c:\MSTP Tool>
- Daisy chain RS-485 adapter to trunk or connect Roam I/A to jack on MNB device.
- Command syntax is as follows: mstpcap comx baudrate# do not type baudrate just speed.
- Control C to stop
If Using Roam I/A it requires highest baudrate available on the interface.
ROAM I/A Serial port
- mstpcap comx 115200
If using Roam I/A Bluetooth
- mstpcap comx 76800
If using an RS-485 adapter it will not support 76,800. This is a PC hardware limitation not a software limitation for further information or instructions on how to use baudrate 76,800 consult text file titled mstpcap.txt or Steve Karg's website: http://steve.kargs.net/bacnet/wireshark-and-bacnet-mstp .
- mstpcap comx baudrate speed
The capture file can be analyzed with WireShark Protocol Analyzer. WireShark software is available at: