Welcome to the new Schneider Electric Community

It's your place to connect with experts and peers, get continuous support, and share knowledge.

• Explore the new navigation for even easier access to your community.
  • Bookmark and use our new, easy-to-remember address (community.se.com).
  • Get ready for more content and an improved experience.

Contact SchneiderCommunity.Support@se.com if you have any questions.

Close
Invite a Co-worker
Send a co-worker an invite to the Exchange portal.Just enter their email address and we’ll connect them to register. After joining, they will belong to the same company.
Send Invite Cancel
84721members
354120posts

UTS10BI Secondary Power Source and Circuit 1

APC UPS for Home and Office Forum

Schneider Electric support forum for our APC offers including Home Office UPS, Surge Protectors, UTS, software and services and associated products designed to share knowledge, installation, and configuration.

Solved
TerryS_apc
Cadet
0 Likes

UTS10BI Secondary Power Source and Circuit 1

This was originally posted on APC forums on 2/23/2013

My electrician has wired my UTS10BI and I am now going through the circuit setup. I plan to purchase a Honda inverter (model yet to be determined) for my Backup1 power source. I presently have a Honda EU2000i that I will use as my Backup2 power source. Ultimately, I would only use Backup2 to power just my furnace overnight in order to save fuel. My question/problem is this:

My furnace is presently wired to UTS circuit 1. The manual says that circuit 1 may not be set up for UPS or EITHER backup power source. It that true for any power source to Backup2 or just a UPS? I have the sinking feeling that I will have to move the furnace to another UTS circuit so that either Backup1 or Backup2 can power it.

Your insight would be appreciated.

Accepted Solutions
Boatingrtb_apc
Lieutenant JG
Lieutenant JG
0 Likes

Re: UTS10BI Secondary Power Source and Circuit 1

This was originally posted on APC forums on 3/12/2013

The design idea is that the connivence outlet (circuit 1) also charges the UPS (backup2).  When the UTS is running on backup2, which in most cases would be a UPS, the UPS can not supply power to circuit 1 and also at the same time charge itself from circuit 1.

See Answer In Context

3 Replies 3
BillP
Administrator Administrator
Administrator
0 Likes

This reply was originally posted by Angela on APC forums on 2/25/2013

Circuit 1 is what provides power to the convenience outlet on the face of the UTS. The generator can be the only Back up source for Circuit 1 in order to power the typical UPS (or the Honda inverter in your case).

in short, you are correct. You will have to move the furnace to a different circuit and set that circuit for UPS only which will then be ultimately your inverter.

TerryS_apc
Cadet
0 Likes

This was originally posted on APC forums on 2/25/2013

Thanks for your reply. Although I don't really understand why Backup2 cannot both power circuit 1 and the power outlet on the face of the UTS, I accept that it's a circuitry issue that cannot be changed. I will put the furnace on another UTS circuit.

Once I move the furnace to another circuit, I do wonder why that circuit cannot be set to EITHER, instead of UPS only, as you've advised.

Boatingrtb_apc
Lieutenant JG
Lieutenant JG
0 Likes

This was originally posted on APC forums on 3/12/2013

The design idea is that the connivence outlet (circuit 1) also charges the UPS (backup2).  When the UTS is running on backup2, which in most cases would be a UPS, the UPS can not supply power to circuit 1 and also at the same time charge itself from circuit 1.