Welcome to the new Schneider Electric Community

It's your place to connect with experts and peers, get continuous support, and share knowledge.

• Explore the new navigation for even easier access to your community.
  • Bookmark and use our new, easy-to-remember address (community.se.com).
  • Get ready for more content and an improved experience.

Contact SchneiderCommunity.Support@se.com if you have any questions.

Close
Invite a Co-worker
Send a co-worker an invite to the Exchange portal.Just enter their email address and we’ll connect them to register. After joining, they will belong to the same company.
Send Invite Cancel
84387members
353577posts

APC SURT3000XLI noise problem

APC UPS Data Center & Enterprise Solutions Forum

Schneider Electric support forum for our Data Center and Business Power UPS, UPS Accessories, Software, Services, and associated commercial products designed to share knowledge, installation, and configuration.

Solved
ac9800pba_apc
Crewman
Crewman
0 Likes

APC SURT3000XLI noise problem

This was originally posted on APC forums on 2/7/2011

Hello, I have an APC SURT3000XLI UPS 2 years about and recently I noticed a weird noise which takes place even if I have the UPS turned off but pluged into the utility power. It sounds in Online or Bypass mode too. It only stops if I un-plug the UPS from the utility power. When I plug it in again it starts after the battary if fully charged. Is this normal? I recorded an mp3 file. First it's the UPS pluged to utility power, after the "click" sound I switch it to bypass (still there is that noise), then switch it back to Online and unplug it. In the end (Online mode no utility power) I listen only to the coil sound. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

Accepted Solutions
Common_Sense_apc
Ensign
Ensign
0 Likes

Re: APC SURT3000XLI noise problem

This was originally posted on APC forums on 3/18/2011

Sounds like you may have a harmonic issue on your input power, do you have any large rectifiers nearby?

See Answer In Context

5 Replies 5
ac9800pba_apc
Crewman
Crewman
0 Likes

This was originally posted on APC forums on 2/8/2011

Thank you for your fast response! I clean the fan and the grill often, so no it's not dirty. If it was fan's noise why it stops when I unplug the unit from the utility power? I don't know if it started recently or it was from the first day of use because I have the UPS in a machine room. Should I try to stop the fan when the unit is plugged in utility power to check if the noise stops?

ac9800pba_apc
Crewman
Crewman
0 Likes

This was originally posted on APC forums on 2/13/2011

I tried to stop the fan with a pencil when the UPS was off and the noise still exists 😕 I assume that it's coming from the back side of the UPS near the input section. It only stops if I unplug the unit from the utility power. So my question is: Is that sound normal for this UPS or shouldn't exist at all? When I unplug it I only listen to the sound that coils make and the fan noise.

ac9800pba_apc
Crewman
Crewman
0 Likes

This was originally posted on APC forums on 2/14/2011

Unfortunately it's out of warranty. I have the UPS installed in a machine room so I am not bothered by the noise. Since it's not going to harm any of my equipment which is pluged on it or the unit itself it's ok.

Thank you very much for your help!

ac9800pba_apc
Crewman
Crewman
0 Likes

Hello Common Sense. No, I don't think so. I also tried the UPS in another 2 buildings, also the one was 80km away from here and the noise still exists... An update tha may be useful is that I checked the UPS output with an osciloscope and there is some distortion near the zero point. The top +1 and the bottom -1 of the sine wave are perfect and way better than my mains power but not the rest of it :'

Common_Sense_apc
Ensign
Ensign
0 Likes

Sounds like you may have a harmonic issue on your input power, do you have any large rectifiers nearby?