Welcome to the new Schneider Electric Community

It's your place to connect with experts and peers, get continuous support, and share knowledge.

• Explore the new navigation for even easier access to your community.
  • Bookmark and use our new, easy-to-remember address (community.se.com).
  • Get ready for more content and an improved experience.

Contact SchneiderCommunity.Support@se.com if you have any questions.

Close
Invite a Co-worker
Send a co-worker an invite to the Exchange portal.Just enter their email address and we’ll connect them to register. After joining, they will belong to the same company.
Send Invite Cancel
84805members
354261posts

How does Struxureware data center expert accept SNMP traps and polls ?

EcoStruxure IT forum

A support forum for Data Center Operation, Data Center Expert, and EcoStruxure IT product users to share knowledge on installation, configuration, and general product use.

Solved
DCIM_Support
Picard
Picard
0 Likes

How does Struxureware data center expert accept SNMP traps and polls ?

This question was originally posted on DCIM Support by gr75801 on 2016-03-30

Hi All,

After working on multiple SNMP monitoring tools and their different design / methods of monitoring its Agents, I would like to know how does Struxureware data center expert do this ?

If i discover a UPS which reports the SNMP trap to Struxureware data center expert how does it do it ?

Does it directly send the trap and Struxureware data center expert alerts it or is there any other component which receives the trap 1st from the UPS and does it then forwards it to Struxureware data center expert after a analysis or correlation ?

Also does Struxureware data center expert perform polling ? If yes what does it pole for ? Is it only Up & Down or does it also look for any traps / monitoring ?

Can anyone please explain on this ?

(CID:105470091)

Accepted Solutions
DCIM_Support
Picard
Picard
0 Likes

Re: How does Struxureware data center expert accept SNMP traps and polls ?

This answer was originally posted on DCIM Support by VSales on 2016-03-31

Hello Gautam, 

StruxureWare Data Center Expert is not a rap receiver so it will not accept device traps. Expert is a polling/monitoring tool which will run SNMP requests within a configurable intervals to all devices. Based on information that DCE receives during it polls it may email recipients if thresholds are breached. During these polling DCE will request any and all information from its monitoring device. We request information such as 

UPS status 

Input and output voltage

Input and Output Current 

Input and Output Load 

as for a very small example. 

Thanks 

Victor 

(CID:105470177)

See Answer In Context

5 Replies 5
DCIM_Support
Picard
Picard
0 Likes

This answer was originally posted on DCIM Support by VSales on 2016-03-31

Hello Gautam, 

StruxureWare Data Center Expert is not a rap receiver so it will not accept device traps. Expert is a polling/monitoring tool which will run SNMP requests within a configurable intervals to all devices. Based on information that DCE receives during it polls it may email recipients if thresholds are breached. During these polling DCE will request any and all information from its monitoring device. We request information such as 

UPS status 

Input and output voltage

Input and Output Current 

Input and Output Load 

as for a very small example. 

Thanks 

Victor 

(CID:105470177)

DCIM_Support
Picard
Picard
0 Likes

This comment was originally posted on DCIM Support by gr75801 on 2016-03-31

Hi Victor,

Thank you, Very helpful explanation.. So as i understand now Devices do not communicate the traps to DCE, But DCE will pool the configured devices in an interval to collect the status right ? Please correct me if i have understood this right or wrong.

So is there any article / notes what parameters can DCE Monitor on each type of devices ? I.E What all monitoring is possible for a UPS and What all monitoring is possible in NetBotz Appliance & MODBUS TCP  type devices so it would really be helpfull for me to understand the monitoring capability available in DCE. As well as for 3rd party device as well which is not of APC.

(CID:105470277)

DCIM_Support
Picard
Picard
0 Likes

This comment was originally posted on DCIM Support by VSales on 2016-03-31

Hello, Yes you are correct about the polling of device information. For your second question, unfortunately we do not have any documented articals that explains exactly what information is being polled via DCE. I would recommend downloading a SNMP polling program like GetIf and using the MIB you can poll devices in question. Any information that is available via SNMP or ModBus TCp is able to be polled by DC. Thanks Victor

(CID:105470278)

DCIM_Support
Picard
Picard
0 Likes

This comment was originally posted on DCIM Support by gr75801 on 2016-03-31

Thanks a lot Victor...

(CID:105470279)

DCIM_Support
Picard
Picard
0 Likes

🔒 Closed

This question is closed for comments. You're welcome to start a new topic if you have further comments on this issue.