Welcome to the new Schneider Electric Community

It's your place to connect with experts and peers, get continuous support, and share knowledge.

• Explore the new navigation for even easier access to your community.
  • Bookmark and use our new, easy-to-remember address (community.se.com).
  • Get ready for more content and an improved experience.

Contact SchneiderCommunity.Support@se.com if you have any questions.

Close
Invite a Co-worker
Send a co-worker an invite to the Exchange portal.Just enter their email address and we’ll connect them to register. After joining, they will belong to the same company.
Send Invite Cancel
84650members
353990posts

DataType Enumerations

EcoStruxure Geo SCADA Expert Forum

Find out how SCADA systems and networks, like EcoStruxure Geo SCADA Expert, help industrial organizations maintaining efficiency, processing data for smarter decision making with IoT, RTU and PLC devices.

Solved
tfranklin
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander
0 Likes

DataType Enumerations

Where can one find the enumerations for the DataType OPC property?  I feel like this used to be on the resource center or in the Schema, but it's nowhere to be found anymore.  I ran a query to get what I needed but was curious where else we can look to find all enumerated values. 

Accepted Solutions
AdamWoodland
Commander Commander
Commander
0 Likes

Re: DataType Enumerations

Interestingly enough it is in the resource centre, just the draft content (since 2009!) so not public 🙂

Copy and paste as below, may well be outdated though (especially given Proteus, BMS and TMX are no longer core drivers):

The DataType property, found in the CDBPoint table, details the automation VARTYPE of the point's value.

DataType Value VARTYPE Name Point Type(s)
3VT_I4Integer (SNMP), Meter Period (BMS)
4VT_R4Analogue, Counter, Minimum, Maximum, Mean, Rate of Change, etc.
5VT_R8Analogue, Counter
7VT_DATEDate/Time
8VT_BSTRString
17VT_UI1Digital, Demand Buffer (Proteus)
19VT_UI4Cardinal (SNMP), Runtime (Proteus/BMS/TMX)

The property is read-only, so you cannot change the point type by changing it.

A common misconception is that this allows queries, logic and other parts of ClearSCADAto determine a point type easily rather than using TypeName or TypeDesc with a list of possible classes of each type, however this will rarely work as several types of point share each data type.

See Answer In Context

2 Replies 2
AdamWoodland
Commander Commander
Commander
0 Likes

Interestingly enough it is in the resource centre, just the draft content (since 2009!) so not public 🙂

Copy and paste as below, may well be outdated though (especially given Proteus, BMS and TMX are no longer core drivers):

The DataType property, found in the CDBPoint table, details the automation VARTYPE of the point's value.

DataType Value VARTYPE Name Point Type(s)
3VT_I4Integer (SNMP), Meter Period (BMS)
4VT_R4Analogue, Counter, Minimum, Maximum, Mean, Rate of Change, etc.
5VT_R8Analogue, Counter
7VT_DATEDate/Time
8VT_BSTRString
17VT_UI1Digital, Demand Buffer (Proteus)
19VT_UI4Cardinal (SNMP), Runtime (Proteus/BMS/TMX)

The property is read-only, so you cannot change the point type by changing it.

A common misconception is that this allows queries, logic and other parts of ClearSCADAto determine a point type easily rather than using TypeName or TypeDesc with a list of possible classes of each type, however this will rarely work as several types of point share each data type.
tfranklin
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander
0 Likes

Awesome, thank you!   This should make for some more efficient processes, rather than comparing string values of TypeNames.

I could've sworn these were previously enumerated somewhere.  Either way -- thanks again!