Welcome to the new Schneider Electric Community

It's your place to connect with experts and peers, get continuous support, and share knowledge.

Close
Important Announcement: WELCOME to the new Schneider Electric Community! Community is now no longer part of Exchange, and is now rebranded under se.com. If you have any bookmarks and links saved, we request you to update them to ensure that you continue accessing our community from this new location. For any issues that you might encounter as part of this change, please reach out to SchneiderCommunity.Support@se.com, and the team will help to get your issues resolved.
Invite a Co-worker
Send a co-worker an invite to the Exchange portal.Just enter their email address and we’ll connect them to register. After joining, they will belong to the same company.
Send Invite Cancel
82165members
349754posts

laser printer/UPS potential damage?

APC UPS for Home and Office Forum

Schneider Electric support forum for our APC offers including Home Office UPS, Surge Protectors, UTS, software and services and associated products designed to share knowledge, installation, and configuration.

Solved
ectozoon_apc
Cadet
0 Likes

laser printer/UPS potential damage?

This was originally posted on APC forums on 7/22/2011

(moved from General Discussions)

I've had a Back-UPS ES 550 for about 2.5 years now, and I just replaced an old inkjet printer with a Brother HL-2220 personal laser printer. Upon booting up the printer the UPS almost immediately shut off power and emitted a continuous alarm tone (overload alarm?). I immediately turned off the power button and noticed I had plugged the printer into the battery backup side by accident. I switched over to the surge suppression only side and reset the UPS, which seemed to power back up fine. I booted up the computer and make a couple of test prints, but the UPS may have clicked when I did so (hard to tell over printer noise).

Only after this did I do some research and discover that a laser printer and s UPS don't mix well. I've now moved the printer to a separate outlet on its own surge protector, and everything's working so far as I can tell. I also looked up the printer specs, and it apparently draws 400W when printing, while the ES 500 is rated for 330W. Oops.

I'm wondering if having a laser printer plugged in for such a short time could have damaged either the printer or the UPS?

Thanks for any help.

Accepted Solutions
BillP
Administrator Administrator
Administrator
0 Likes

Re: laser printer/UPS potential damage?

This reply was originally posted by Angela on APC forums on 7/22/2011

most likely you just overloaded the UPS due to the power consumption the laser printer requires while warming up and printing. as long as the UPS powers up normally and passes its self test and does not make any strange noises, i would not be concerned. the UPS is designed to overload and protect itself by tripping its overload circuit breaker.

hope that helps

See Answer In Context

1 Reply 1
BillP
Administrator Administrator
Administrator
0 Likes

Re: laser printer/UPS potential damage?

This reply was originally posted by Angela on APC forums on 7/22/2011

most likely you just overloaded the UPS due to the power consumption the laser printer requires while warming up and printing. as long as the UPS powers up normally and passes its self test and does not make any strange noises, i would not be concerned. the UPS is designed to overload and protect itself by tripping its overload circuit breaker.

hope that helps