Welcome to the new Schneider Electric Community

It's your place to connect with experts and peers, get continuous support, and share knowledge.

• Explore the new navigation for even easier access to your community.
  • Bookmark and use our new, easy-to-remember address (community.se.com).
  • Get ready for more content and an improved experience.

Contact SchneiderCommunity.Support@se.com if you have any questions.

Close
Invite a Co-worker
Send a co-worker an invite to the Exchange portal.Just enter their email address and we’ll connect them to register. After joining, they will belong to the same company.
Send Invite Cancel
84439members
353638posts

fan noise

APC UPS for Home and Office Forum

Schneider Electric support forum for our APC offers including Home Office UPS, Surge Protectors, UTS, software and services and associated products designed to share knowledge, installation, and configuration.

Solved
BillP
Administrator Administrator
Administrator
0 Likes

fan noise

This question was originally posted by a on APC forums on 7/31/2007

The fan on my Back-UPS XS1300 cycles on and off through the day -- on for about a half hour at a time. It's a rather noisy fan and far louder than the PC I upgraded to be close to silent. Is there a way to reduce the fan usage or noise?

I have a fairly modest load on the UPS: 220W out of a 780W capacity. The battery is fully charged and it is running on AC utility power. There is plenty of airspace around the UPS and the ambient temperature is in the upper-70's.

Is it normal for a UPS to generate so much heat?

Tags (3)

Accepted Solutions
KVM4Life_apc
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
0 Likes

Re: fan noise

This was originally posted on APC forums on 7/31/2007

We have a couple of them around our desks here, but I can't remember hearing the fan come on that often.

Does anyone else have any comments on this?

See Answer In Context

5 Replies 5
BillP
Administrator
0 Likes

This reply was originally posted by a on APC forums on 7/31/2007

Nothing is broken, it is just a loud fan by design (small blades, high rpm). Surely other people think it is noisy, too? Or don't yours go on and my unit runs hot for some reason and keeps triggering the fan?

KVM4Life_apc
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
0 Likes

We have a couple of them around our desks here, but I can't remember hearing the fan come on that often.

Does anyone else have any comments on this?

BillP
Administrator
0 Likes

This reply was originally posted by Oscar on APC forums on 7/31/2007

It's normal for the UPS's fan to kick on. The fan will automatically turn on when it goes on battery, or if there're any power fluctuations and the voltage regulator goes to work. It also turns on when the temp exceeds 104 degrees F.

There's really no way of reducing the fan's usage or lowering the noise as this is how the UPS is intended to work by design.

KVM4Life_apc
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
0 Likes

Hi,

Does it sound like the fan is broken, meaning is there a scraping or rattling sound, or is it just the sound of the fan actually coming on that is disturbing?

Syn_apc
Ensign
Ensign
0 Likes

This was originally posted on APC forums on 8/3/2007

The fan will also come on during charging of the battery also.

-Syn