Welcome to the new Schneider Electric Community

It's your place to connect with experts and peers, get continuous support, and share knowledge.

Close
Important Announcement: WELCOME to the Schneider Electric Community! We have moved to a new address: community.se.com — bookmark it today and contact SchneiderCommunity.Support@se.com if you have any questions!
Invite a Co-worker
Send a co-worker an invite to the Exchange portal.Just enter their email address and we’ll connect them to register. After joining, they will belong to the same company.
Send Invite Cancel
82697members
350420posts

UPS for Garage Door Opener

APC UPS for Home and Office Forum

Schneider Electric support forum for our APC offers including Home Office UPS, Surge Protectors, UTS, software and services and associated products designed to share knowledge, installation, and configuration.

Solved
skeetva_apc
Cadet
0 Likes

This was originally posted on APC forums on 7/30/2007

I have a 1/2 hp garage door opener that I want to put an ups on. This is my main entrance into the house and I want to be able to get in if the power goes out. What would be the recommended unit for this application?

Accepted Solutions
Grenade_apc
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
0 Likes

Re: UPS for Garage Door Opener

Since this would be powering a garage door opener, you would want to use a UPS that produces a pure sine wave while operating on battery. Motors tend to run into issues when they are being fed power from a step approximated sine wave. The Smart-UPS product line produces the pure sine wave. If you provide power requirements of the garage door opener, perhaps we could provide a specific size UPS. However, one thing to note is the UPS will provide power as soon as utility power is lost, so the UPS may exhaust all of it's battery power before you return home to open the door. The opener will probably draw very little to no power while not in use during the outage. Another thing to keep in mind is the inrush current that can be associated with a device like this. It's important to size the UPS to accomodate for the inrush current so it doesn't overload the UPS causing it to drop the load (cut power to the garage door opener).

See Answer In Context

dirtfoot_apc
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander
0 Likes

This was originally posted on APC forums on 7/31/2007

Also keep in mind that UPSs are designed to be used within specific environmental parameters. There are limitations to min/max temperature and humidity that a UPS can be expected to operate in. The specifics of the requirements may vary by UPS model.

See Answer In Context

KVAr_apc
Captain
Captain
0 Likes

This was originally posted on APC forums on 8/1/2007

1400-1500VA Smart-UPS, at minimum. You might even have to go with 2200VA depending on the inrush demand of your opener. It might not give you a very good return of investment considering a Smart UPS is quite expensive in these sizes.

See Answer In Context

BillP
Administrator Administrator
Administrator
0 Likes

This reply was originally posted by Ken on APC forums on 8/22/2007

Two thoughts. One, you are getting close to justifying a backup generator which can have other good uses running refrigerators and freezers. Two, a $20 locking cable release, installed through the door, will allow you to disconnect the garage door slide from the drive mechanism and open the door the way our grandfathers used to.

See Answer In Context

5 Replies 5
skeetva_apc
Cadet
0 Likes

I have a 1/2 hp garage door opener that I want to put an ups on. This is my main entrance into the house and I want to be able to get in if the power goes out. What would be the recommended unit for this application?

Grenade_apc
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
0 Likes

Since this would be powering a garage door opener, you would want to use a UPS that produces a pure sine wave while operating on battery. Motors tend to run into issues when they are being fed power from a step approximated sine wave. The Smart-UPS product line produces the pure sine wave. If you provide power requirements of the garage door opener, perhaps we could provide a specific size UPS. However, one thing to note is the UPS will provide power as soon as utility power is lost, so the UPS may exhaust all of it's battery power before you return home to open the door. The opener will probably draw very little to no power while not in use during the outage. Another thing to keep in mind is the inrush current that can be associated with a device like this. It's important to size the UPS to accomodate for the inrush current so it doesn't overload the UPS causing it to drop the load (cut power to the garage door opener).

dirtfoot_apc
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander
0 Likes

This was originally posted on APC forums on 7/31/2007

Also keep in mind that UPSs are designed to be used within specific environmental parameters. There are limitations to min/max temperature and humidity that a UPS can be expected to operate in. The specifics of the requirements may vary by UPS model.

KVAr_apc
Captain
Captain
0 Likes

This was originally posted on APC forums on 8/1/2007

1400-1500VA Smart-UPS, at minimum. You might even have to go with 2200VA depending on the inrush demand of your opener. It might not give you a very good return of investment considering a Smart UPS is quite expensive in these sizes.

BillP
Administrator Administrator
Administrator
0 Likes

This reply was originally posted by Ken on APC forums on 8/22/2007

Two thoughts. One, you are getting close to justifying a backup generator which can have other good uses running refrigerators and freezers. Two, a $20 locking cable release, installed through the door, will allow you to disconnect the garage door slide from the drive mechanism and open the door the way our grandfathers used to.