Welcome to the new Schneider Electric Community

It's your place to connect with experts and peers, get continuous support, and share knowledge.

  • Explore the new navigation for even easier access to your community.
  • Bookmark and use our new, easy-to-remember address (community.se.com).
  • Get ready for more content and an improved experience.

Contact SchneiderCommunity.Support@se.com if you have any questions.

Close
Invite a Co-worker
Send a co-worker an invite to the Exchange portal.Just enter their email address and we’ll connect them to register. After joining, they will belong to the same company.
Send Invite Cancel
84567members
353835posts

RS-800 any reports on overheat or fire?

APC UPS for Home and Office Forum

Schneider Electric support forum for our APC offers including Home Office UPS, Surge Protectors, UTS, software and services and associated products designed to share knowledge, installation, and configuration.

Solved
ctaddey_apc
Crewman
Crewman
0 Likes
1
89

RS-800 any reports on overheat or fire?

This was originally posted on APC forums on 1/3/2010


ok first of all I have a little story:
I have a 3-year old rs800, and last day before I went on a holiday trip, I got the replace battery led on after power cycling the ups.
So I left the ups powered off but still connected (all leds were off).
I returned after 8 days, and when I was going to turn it on again I felt a lot of heat coming out the UPS, so I unplugged all cables and opened the battery cover, but was unable to take out the battery due to it being burning-hot to the touch. I allowed it to cool down a while, 30 minutes later and still was very warm, plus the battery pack were somewhat jammed inside the ups.
Finally it came out, but the batteries have very noticeable 'lumps' on them.

Now I'm a little worried about this product's risking a fire in my home. I think that if I took 2 weeks instead of 1 the baterries could have exploded or set the desk it was on on fire.
If someone with more experience with this model/brand want to give his oppinion...
why the overheat if the unit was off? is this a firmware failure or it is ok for the battery to keep charging even if the ups is off?
Even if it was meant to keep charging, doesnt apc ups have some security measures to keep this from happening? (like charge timers, or even temp sensor like some notebooks batteries) I tough this was a quality product.
should I turn the unit to apc for repairs?

Best regards
Christian.


Accepted Solutions
ctaddey_apc
Crewman
Crewman
0 Likes
0
89

RS-800 any reports on overheat or fire?

This was originally posted on APC forums on 1/4/2010


ok first of all I have a little story:
I have a 3-year old rs800, and last day before I went on a holiday trip, I got the replace battery led on after power cycling the ups.
So I left the ups powered off but still connected (all leds were off).
I returned after 8 days, and when I was going to turn it on again I felt a lot of heat coming out the UPS, so I unplugged all cables and opened the battery cover, but was unable to take out the battery due to it being burning-hot to the touch. I allowed it to cool down a while, 30 minutes later and still was very warm, plus the battery pack were somewhat jammed inside the ups.
Finally it came out, but the batteries have very noticeable 'lumps' on them.

Now I'm a little worried about this product's risking a fire in my home. I think that if I took 2 weeks instead of 1 the baterries could have exploded or set the desk it was on on fire.
If someone with more experience with this model/brand want to give his oppinion...
why the overheat if the unit was off? is this a firmware failure or it is ok for the battery to keep charging even if the ups is off?
Even if it was meant to keep charging, doesnt apc ups have some security measures to keep this from happening? (like charge timers, or even temp sensor like some notebooks batteries) I tough this was a quality product.
should I turn the unit to apc for repairs?

Best regards
Christian.

See Answer In Context

1 Reply 1
ctaddey_apc
Crewman
Crewman
0 Likes
0
90

RS-800 any reports on overheat or fire?

This was originally posted on APC forums on 1/4/2010


ok first of all I have a little story:
I have a 3-year old rs800, and last day before I went on a holiday trip, I got the replace battery led on after power cycling the ups.
So I left the ups powered off but still connected (all leds were off).
I returned after 8 days, and when I was going to turn it on again I felt a lot of heat coming out the UPS, so I unplugged all cables and opened the battery cover, but was unable to take out the battery due to it being burning-hot to the touch. I allowed it to cool down a while, 30 minutes later and still was very warm, plus the battery pack were somewhat jammed inside the ups.
Finally it came out, but the batteries have very noticeable 'lumps' on them.

Now I'm a little worried about this product's risking a fire in my home. I think that if I took 2 weeks instead of 1 the baterries could have exploded or set the desk it was on on fire.
If someone with more experience with this model/brand want to give his oppinion...
why the overheat if the unit was off? is this a firmware failure or it is ok for the battery to keep charging even if the ups is off?
Even if it was meant to keep charging, doesnt apc ups have some security measures to keep this from happening? (like charge timers, or even temp sensor like some notebooks batteries) I tough this was a quality product.
should I turn the unit to apc for repairs?

Best regards
Christian.