Welcome to the new Schneider Electric Community

It's your place to connect with experts and peers, get continuous support, and share knowledge.

• Explore the new navigation for even easier access to your community.
  • Bookmark and use our new, easy-to-remember address (community.se.com).
  • Get ready for more content and an improved experience.

Contact SchneiderCommunity.Support@se.com if you have any questions.

Close
Invite a Co-worker
Send a co-worker an invite to the Exchange portal.Just enter their email address and we’ll connect them to register. After joining, they will belong to the same company.
Send Invite Cancel
84693members
354073posts

Question on APC Back-UPS ES 750 and Computer Shutdown

APC UPS for Home and Office Forum

Schneider Electric support forum for our APC offers including Home Office UPS, Surge Protectors, UTS, software and services and associated products designed to share knowledge, installation, and configuration.

Solved
BH_apc
Ensign
Ensign
0 Likes

Question on APC Back-UPS ES 750 and Computer Shutdown

This was originally posted on APC forums on 4/30/2009

I have a client who is telling me they have a APC Back-UPS ES 750.
We are installing a server and I am trying to figure out if this thing is adequate, especially regarding being able to shut down the server.

The product page says:

Most models include our award-winning software, which automatically saves open files and gracefully shuts down your computer during extended outages

And the user guide says:

Connect Computer Cable
The supplied cable and software provide automatic file saving and shutdown of
the operating system in the case of a sustained power outage.
Connect the cable to the Data Port of the Back-UPS ES. Connect the other end
of the cable to the USB port on your computer. The software will automatically
find the USB Port of your computer.

However the picture in the user guide doesn't look like the UPS has a USB port. Do these devices plug in differently?

Also, do they only work with the PowerChute Personal Software and will that software install on Windows 2003? Or can I use the Business Edition software?

Thanks!

Accepted Solutions
Erasmus_apc
Sisko
Sisko
0 Likes

Re: Question on APC Back-UPS ES 750 and Computer Shutdown

The Back-UPS 750 ES uses an RJ-45 to USB port to connect the UPS to your computer. The cable should have come with the manual and other materials that were boxed with the unit.

The UPS uses the PowerChute Personal Edition software. Unfortunately PCPE is not expressly supported for Windows 2003. I would recommend trying to use Business Edition and set your communication for "Simple Signaling" (you may run into communication issues with this approach) or use the Windows Native UPS service.

See Answer In Context

1 Reply 1
Erasmus_apc
Sisko
Sisko
0 Likes

Re: Question on APC Back-UPS ES 750 and Computer Shutdown

The Back-UPS 750 ES uses an RJ-45 to USB port to connect the UPS to your computer. The cable should have come with the manual and other materials that were boxed with the unit.

The UPS uses the PowerChute Personal Edition software. Unfortunately PCPE is not expressly supported for Windows 2003. I would recommend trying to use Business Edition and set your communication for "Simple Signaling" (you may run into communication issues with this approach) or use the Windows Native UPS service.