Welcome to the new Schneider Electric Community

It's your place to connect with experts and peers, get continuous support, and share knowledge.

Close
Important Announcement: WELCOME to the new Schneider Electric Community! Community is now no longer part of Exchange, and is now rebranded under se.com. If you have any bookmarks and links saved, we request you to update them to ensure that you continue accessing our community from this new location. For any issues that you might encounter as part of this change, please reach out to SchneiderCommunity.Support@se.com, and the team will help to get your issues resolved.
Invite a Co-worker
Send a co-worker an invite to the Exchange portal.Just enter their email address and we’ll connect them to register. After joining, they will belong to the same company.
Send Invite Cancel
82530members
350133posts

Need help on UPS just for Modem & Router

APC UPS for Home and Office Forum

Schneider Electric support forum for our APC offers including Home Office UPS, Surge Protectors, UTS, software and services and associated products designed to share knowledge, installation, and configuration.

Solved
czach_apc
Cadet
0 Likes

Need help on UPS just for Modem & Router

This was originally posted on APC forums on 8/14/2009

Hello everyone. I need help on finding the right UPS to provide standby power for at least 48 hrs to my modem and router (If it's even possible). I have a house in Pennsylvania that I want to monitor via internet. During winter, we have had power outages that last 2 days or more. I know the power on the modem and router will come back once power is restored but usually, the router is initialized first before the modem. This results in router not getting IP from the ISP. I would hate going to the house just to restart them. Thanks in advance....

Accepted Solutions
voidstar_apc
Janeway
Janeway
0 Likes

Re: Need help on UPS just for Modem & Router

This was originally posted on APC forums on 8/15/2009

Here's the runtime chart for SmartUPSes: [Runtime Chart|http://www.apcc.com/products/runtime_for_extendedruntime.cfm?upsfamily=165]

My cable modem is labeled as requiring a maximum of 18W and my router's power brick says it requires a maximum of 26W. So a conservative worst case power requirement for my setup is 44W. The runtime chart starts at 50W and seems to indicate that I'll need some extended run batteries to get 48 hours of runtime.

Most people who require this much runtime use a generator. The UPS keeps the power up until the generator kicks in.

At one point I had my cable modem and router on a UPS, but I stopped when I realized the cable infrastructure in my area usually goes down during a blackout. You may want to check if the same is true for your house.

Additionally, it seems like the real problem is your routing not getting an IP when initialized before the modem. Routers attempting to get an IP through DHCP should retry until they succeed. You may want to try another router (my favorite is Buffalo Technology's WHR-HP-g54) or talk to your neighbors to see if it's an issue with your router. Another possibility is the cable modem or the cable service doing something funky.

An indirect solution to this is to have the router turn on well after the modem. Some [APC AV UPSes|http://www.apc.com/products/apcav/products/index.cfm?action=model&id=310] can sequence devices on.

See Answer In Context

2 Replies 2
BillP
Administrator Administrator
Administrator
0 Likes

This reply was originally posted by Wayne on APC forums on 8/15/2009

I would think any APC 1500 (850watt ) should be able to keep the router and modem powered up for that lengh of time.

Look at your equipment and total the wattage of the two units. Use that as a guide line. That is all you wish to keep alive

voidstar_apc
Janeway
Janeway
0 Likes

This was originally posted on APC forums on 8/15/2009

Here's the runtime chart for SmartUPSes: [Runtime Chart|http://www.apcc.com/products/runtime_for_extendedruntime.cfm?upsfamily=165]

My cable modem is labeled as requiring a maximum of 18W and my router's power brick says it requires a maximum of 26W. So a conservative worst case power requirement for my setup is 44W. The runtime chart starts at 50W and seems to indicate that I'll need some extended run batteries to get 48 hours of runtime.

Most people who require this much runtime use a generator. The UPS keeps the power up until the generator kicks in.

At one point I had my cable modem and router on a UPS, but I stopped when I realized the cable infrastructure in my area usually goes down during a blackout. You may want to check if the same is true for your house.

Additionally, it seems like the real problem is your routing not getting an IP when initialized before the modem. Routers attempting to get an IP through DHCP should retry until they succeed. You may want to try another router (my favorite is Buffalo Technology's WHR-HP-g54) or talk to your neighbors to see if it's an issue with your router. Another possibility is the cable modem or the cable service doing something funky.

An indirect solution to this is to have the router turn on well after the modem. Some [APC AV UPSes|http://www.apc.com/products/apcav/products/index.cfm?action=model&id=310] can sequence devices on.