Welcome to the new Schneider Electric Community

It's your place to connect with experts and peers, get continuous support, and share knowledge.

• Explore the new navigation for even easier access to your community.
  • Bookmark and use our new, easy-to-remember address (community.se.com).
  • Get ready for more content and an improved experience.

Contact SchneiderCommunity.Support@se.com if you have any questions.

Close
Invite a Co-worker
Send a co-worker an invite to the Exchange portal.Just enter their email address and we’ll connect them to register. After joining, they will belong to the same company.
Send Invite Cancel
84725members
354140posts

Inrush & Load Shedding Question

APC UPS for Home and Office Forum

Schneider Electric support forum for our APC offers including Home Office UPS, Surge Protectors, UTS, software and services and associated products designed to share knowledge, installation, and configuration.

Solved
hondabill_apc
Crewman
Crewman
0 Likes

Inrush & Load Shedding Question

This was originally posted on APC forums on 6/27/2017

Hello, I am looking at replacing an existing manual transfer switch with the UTS10BI.  

I have two devices with motors that may overload my generator if they both cycle on at the same time.  I can't control exactly when they cycle on/off.  

Can the UTS  act quick enough during the inrush time period so that it can shed an already active load?

Can the UTS   be configured to cycle two different circuits on and off at different times?  I believe the "security" feature can cycle circuits on/off but I can't tell if I can configure two circuits to never be on at the same time.

Thanks

Accepted Solutions
hondabill_apc
Crewman
Crewman
0 Likes

Re: Inrush & Load Shedding Question

This was originally posted on APC forums on 6/28/2017

Thanks.  I was concerned the algorithm was designed so that it only shed circuits under sustained excessive loads (shed only after x seconds of high load, as example).

See Answer In Context

2 Replies 2
BillP
Administrator Administrator
Administrator
0 Likes

This reply was originally posted by Secret on APC forums on 6/28/2017

Hi William,

It is difficult to say without a doubt, not knowing your exact load characteristics. The Load Shedding feature however is designed to shed the load as not to cause your generator to stall or over-load. The response to excessive in-rush should be immediate. With that said, the Load Shedding and Security features are not configurable to the degree stated in your inquiry. These features are either enabled or disabled. The system's predetermined algorithm will take over once enabled.

Secret Squirrel

hondabill_apc
Crewman
Crewman
0 Likes

This was originally posted on APC forums on 6/28/2017

Thanks.  I was concerned the algorithm was designed so that it only shed circuits under sustained excessive loads (shed only after x seconds of high load, as example).