Welcome to the new Schneider Electric Community

It's your place to connect with experts and peers, get continuous support, and share knowledge.

• Explore the new navigation for even easier access to your community.
  • Bookmark and use our new, easy-to-remember address (community.se.com).
  • Get ready for more content and an improved experience.

Contact SchneiderCommunity.Support@se.com if you have any questions.

Close
Invite a Co-worker
Send a co-worker an invite to the Exchange portal.Just enter their email address and we’ll connect them to register. After joining, they will belong to the same company.
Send Invite Cancel
84258members
353364posts

F04 Clamp Short

APC UPS for Home and Office Forum

Schneider Electric support forum for our APC offers including Home Office UPS, Surge Protectors, UTS, software and services and associated products designed to share knowledge, installation, and configuration.

Solved
Anonymous
Not applicable
0 Likes

F04 Clamp Short

This was originally posted on APC forums on 11/13/2010

What does F04 Clamp Short mean and what would cause it?

Accepted Solutions
rau_apc
Commander
Commander
0 Likes

Re: F04 Clamp Short

This was originally posted on APC forums on 11/14/2010

I don't know what component inside the UPS is deffective, but what this code is saying is that samething is short circuited inside the UPS, it could be anything, but the word "clamp" reminds me of a varistor ou MOV, which is the component that clamps short when there is a voltage surge condition and comes back to its normal state, an open circuit, when the voltage surge is gone. Sometimes it clamps short for good when it is hit by a large surge or just by absorving and shunting to ground many small surges. If your UPS is running fine perhaps one varistor between neutral/ground is short circuited which won't interfere in the UPS itself, but it is a safety hazzard for the user, because it increases the risk of electrocution.

I can't tell you for sure that this is the right explanation for this error code, but I think it is something close to it.

See Answer In Context

Anonymous
Not applicable
0 Likes

F04 Clamp Short

See Answer In Context

FBMBoomer_apc
Crewman
Crewman
0 Likes

This was originally posted on APC forums on 5/3/2015

I found a method to clear this error and make the UPS work again. I disconnected the UPS. I then disconnected the batteries for 5 minutes. I powered it up on my work bench and it looked OK. I then uninstalled the powerchute software to make sure it would not remember that my UPS had an error code. I reinstalled the latest power chute software and all has been well. 

See Answer In Context

3 Replies 3
rau_apc
Commander
Commander
0 Likes

This was originally posted on APC forums on 11/14/2010

I don't know what component inside the UPS is deffective, but what this code is saying is that samething is short circuited inside the UPS, it could be anything, but the word "clamp" reminds me of a varistor ou MOV, which is the component that clamps short when there is a voltage surge condition and comes back to its normal state, an open circuit, when the voltage surge is gone. Sometimes it clamps short for good when it is hit by a large surge or just by absorving and shunting to ground many small surges. If your UPS is running fine perhaps one varistor between neutral/ground is short circuited which won't interfere in the UPS itself, but it is a safety hazzard for the user, because it increases the risk of electrocution.

I can't tell you for sure that this is the right explanation for this error code, but I think it is something close to it.

Anonymous
Not applicable
0 Likes

F04 Clamp Short

FBMBoomer_apc
Crewman
Crewman
0 Likes

This was originally posted on APC forums on 5/3/2015

I found a method to clear this error and make the UPS work again. I disconnected the UPS. I then disconnected the batteries for 5 minutes. I powered it up on my work bench and it looked OK. I then uninstalled the powerchute software to make sure it would not remember that my UPS had an error code. I reinstalled the latest power chute software and all has been well.