Welcome to the new Schneider Electric Community

It's your place to connect with experts and peers, get continuous support, and share knowledge.

Close
Important Announcement: WELCOME to the new Schneider Electric Community! Community is now no longer part of Exchange, and is now rebranded under se.com. If you have any bookmarks and links saved, we request you to update them to ensure that you continue accessing our community from this new location. For any issues that you might encounter as part of this change, please reach out to SchneiderCommunity.Support@se.com, and the team will help to get your issues resolved.
Invite a Co-worker
Send a co-worker an invite to the Exchange portal.Just enter their email address and we’ll connect them to register. After joining, they will belong to the same company.
Send Invite Cancel
82122members
349628posts

ES 750 Controlled Outlets: Hacking To Make The Feature Really Work?

APC UPS for Home and Office Forum

Schneider Electric support forum for our APC offers including Home Office UPS, Surge Protectors, UTS, software and services and associated products designed to share knowledge, installation, and configuration.

Solved
PeteCress_apc
Ensign
Ensign
0 Likes

ES 750 Controlled Outlets: Hacking To Make The Feature Really Work?

This was originally posted on APC forums on 10/30/2011

I just bought two of these devices with the expectation that the "Controlled" outlets would run on battery until the "Master" device shut down.

The idea is that we can keep the router/switches working while the NAS is on backup, but that they will not drain the battery once the NAS shuts down.

Reading other threads, it seems like the "Controlled" outlets are not really controlled by the master in the case of power loss: they just shut down immediately.

So the feature really is: "The 'Master' device controls the 'Controlled' devices *only* when the UPS has external power."

Has anybody hacked one of these things to make it really work? My inner electronic/electrical illiterate is hoping that it is a simple as re-routing a couple of wires.

Accepted Solutions
BillP
Administrator Administrator
Administrator
0 Likes

Re: ES 750 Controlled Outlets: Hacking To Make The Feature Really Work?

This reply was originally posted by Jonathan on APC forums on 11/1/2011

Thank you very much for the feedback. I would let the product management know about it.

See Answer In Context

3 Replies 3
BillP
Administrator
0 Likes

This reply was originally posted by Jonathan on APC forums on 10/31/2011

You are correct Peter, the load on the Controlled by Master would turn off if it looses power since these outlets are Surge only outlets. Keep in mind that opening the UPS voids your warranty. If you do want to have controllable outlets that has back up battery capability, you can look at our SmartUPS SMX and SMT models.

PeteCress_apc
Ensign
Ensign
0 Likes

This was originally posted on APC forums on 10/31/2011

Thanks for the confirmation.

Do you guys have a suggestion system at APC? Maybe you could get a buck out of it by putting a suggestion in on this.

To me the current state of things undermines APC's reputation. For the life of me I can't imagine why they would inflict such a flawed implementation on their customers. I mean... this is an Uninterruptable Power Supply, not a friggin power strip... it's all about function when the power fails.

The very least they can do is note the limitation on the outside of the box.

But they really should make it right.

That's some critical functionality which, if implemented correctly, would put the APC product head and shoulders above the competition.

As it is, people are buying it and feeling betrayed when they find out it does not work as stated on the box- which clearly says the "Controlled" outlets are controlled by the "Master" outlet.... there's nothing about the control only being when the power is on.

Understood that the two other products work as expected - but they are much higher end than most consumers will ever see or want. And besides, they can buy a smart power strip that will supply the needed correct functionality for less than a hundred bucks.

It still comes tack to APC's rep: they say one thing on the box, but another thing in the user instructions.

BillP
Administrator
0 Likes

This reply was originally posted by Jonathan on APC forums on 11/1/2011

Thank you very much for the feedback. I would let the product management know about it.