Welcome to the new Schneider Electric Community

It's your place to connect with experts and peers, get continuous support, and share knowledge.

• Explore the new navigation for even easier access to your community.
  • Bookmark and use our new, easy-to-remember address (community.se.com).
  • Get ready for more content and an improved experience.

Contact SchneiderCommunity.Support@se.com if you have any questions.

Close
Invite a Co-worker
Send a co-worker an invite to the Exchange portal.Just enter their email address and we’ll connect them to register. After joining, they will belong to the same company.
Send Invite Cancel
84631members
353965posts

Connected UPS to Mac Pro with USB cable, and now LOAD shown is 20W Less!

APC UPS for Home and Office Forum

Schneider Electric support forum for our APC offers including Home Office UPS, Surge Protectors, UTS, software and services and associated products designed to share knowledge, installation, and configuration.

Solved
JohnT_apc
Cadet
0 Likes

Connected UPS to Mac Pro with USB cable, and now LOAD shown is 20W Less!

This was originally posted on APC forums on 7/27/2012

I have a BR1500LCD (from 2009).

Today, for the first time, I tried connecting the data cable from the UPS to my Mac Pro.

Before I connected the cable, the Load shown on the UPS LCD hovered around 185 Watts.
After I connected the cable, it hovers around 165 Watts - 20 Watts less!
I confirmed this by repeatedly unplugging/plugging in the data cable.

What's going on? Does it mean that the load really does decrease when the data line is connected, or is there a bug in the UPS firmware?
Is the UPS getting some power from the Mac via the USB?

Another question:
While I was exploring the new UPS options in the Mac's System Preferences/Energy Saver panels, I noticed that the UPS battery level started to decrease. It continued to decrease to about 90% within an hour, then started to increase again, and reached 100%.
During this time the UPS was connected to mains, and there was no outage. What was happening during this time? Why did the battery level change?

Tags (3)

Accepted Solutions
sfctac_apc
Crewman
Crewman
0 Likes

Re: Connected UPS to Mac Pro with USB cable, and now LOAD shown is 20W Less!

This was originally posted on APC forums on 8/5/2012

With nothing connected to my APC Back UPS 1300 XS LCD the load shoots up to over 100 and eventually drops to 71 when connecting the data USB cable to an XP laptop. Seems very wrong.

See Answer In Context

1 Reply 1
sfctac_apc
Crewman
Crewman
0 Likes

Re: Connected UPS to Mac Pro with USB cable, and now LOAD shown is 20W Less!

This was originally posted on APC forums on 8/5/2012

With nothing connected to my APC Back UPS 1300 XS LCD the load shoots up to over 100 and eventually drops to 71 when connecting the data USB cable to an XP laptop. Seems very wrong.