Welcome to the new Schneider Electric Community

It's your place to connect with experts and peers, get continuous support, and share knowledge.

• Explore the new navigation for even easier access to your community.
  • Bookmark and use our new, easy-to-remember address (community.se.com).
  • Get ready for more content and an improved experience.

Contact SchneiderCommunity.Support@se.com if you have any questions.

Close
Invite a Co-worker
Send a co-worker an invite to the Exchange portal.Just enter their email address and we’ll connect them to register. After joining, they will belong to the same company.
Send Invite Cancel
84700members
354075posts

Can I uninstall PowerChute and leave computer plugged into UPS?

APC UPS for Home and Office Forum

Schneider Electric support forum for our APC offers including Home Office UPS, Surge Protectors, UTS, software and services and associated products designed to share knowledge, installation, and configuration.

Solved
UPC_Timothy_apc
Ensign
Ensign
0 Likes

Can I uninstall PowerChute and leave computer plugged into UPS?

This was originally posted on APC forums on 3/29/2011

My Win 7 Pro 64 computer still sometimes hangs at start-up, and I'm virtually certain that PowerChute is the culprit. The problem is a variation of the one I described in my first thread about this issue, back in January:

Referenced content removed

PowerChute 3 seemed to fix the problem, but didn't. Version 3 required the UAC password, and sometimes still hung at start-up. The worst of both worlds.

I tried running Powerchute as a task in task scheduler, in the hope that this would help. The intermittent hangs went away for awhile, but then returned with a vengeance. I'm stuck, and unhappy. I bought a UPS because I want to avoid cold boots.

My question:

What would happen if I just uninstall the Powerchute software entirely, but leave the computer connected to the UPS? Would the UPS still function in a power outage, without providing me any warning? Or would it not function at all?

If it would function, I'm going to uninstall Powerchute.

Accepted Solutions
UPC_Timothy_apc
Ensign
Ensign
0 Likes

Re: Can I uninstall PowerChute and leave computer plugged into UPS?

This was originally posted on APC forums on 4/1/2011

Yes, those were my symptoms ... and the article provided the fix. Thanks very much!

See Answer In Context

2 Replies 2
UPC_Timothy_apc
Ensign
Ensign
0 Likes

This was originally posted on APC forums on 3/30/2011

First, thanks for the response.

I followed your instructions and successfully uninstalled PowerChute. I also used device manager to uninstall the drivers, and unplugged and replugged the USB cable, as you suggested. Windows 7 then seemed to recognize and install the UPS drivers without a hitch.

However, now the battery meter in Windows 7 isn't functional, and can't be enabled with 'turn system icons on or off' in the system tray. I have UPS protection, but can't configure it for Windows 7.

Is there anything that might be hiding in the registry that could still be causing problems? I already used regedit to search for all keys showing "powerchute," and deleted them.

UPC_Timothy_apc
Ensign
Ensign
0 Likes

This was originally posted on APC forums on 4/1/2011

Yes, those were my symptoms ... and the article provided the fix. Thanks very much!