Welcome to the new Schneider Electric Community

It's your place to connect with experts and peers, get continuous support, and share knowledge.

Close
Important Announcement: WELCOME to the new Schneider Electric Community! Community is now no longer part of Exchange, and is now rebranded under se.com. If you have any bookmarks and links saved, we request you to update them to ensure that you continue accessing our community from this new location. For any issues that you might encounter as part of this change, please reach out to SchneiderCommunity.Support@se.com, and the team will help to get your issues resolved.
Invite a Co-worker
Send a co-worker an invite to the Exchange portal.Just enter their email address and we’ll connect them to register. After joining, they will belong to the same company.
Send Invite Cancel
82397members
349904posts

Backup power for aquarium heater, air pump, and filter

APC UPS for Home and Office Forum

Schneider Electric support forum for our APC offers including Home Office UPS, Surge Protectors, UTS, software and services and associated products designed to share knowledge, installation, and configuration.

Solved
LarryS_apc
Cadet
0 Likes

Backup power for aquarium heater, air pump, and filter

This was originally posted on APC forums on 5/26/2008

Except for one air pump which has built-in backup power from 2 "D" batteries, I have not been able to locate any product advertised for powering aquarium products like heaters and filters when the AC power fails. The pet shop has been of little help. Does anyone know how UPS batteries of different wattages would work to keep aquarium accessories going for electric outages of 12-24 hours? The heater I have is rated at 50 watts. I have an electrically operated filter that does not state a wattage. Any ideas for backing up my sensitive fish tank against electrical outages would be appreciated.

Accepted Solutions
TheNotoriousKMP_apc
Sisko
Sisko
0 Likes

Re: Backup power for aquarium heater, air pump, and filter

This was originally posted on APC forums on 5/27/2008

Under a 50W load it's going to last 2-3 minutes before the UPS senses that it's not powering anything substantial and powers itself off. At 50W, I think the largest runtime you can get is no more than 2 hours.

But mainly, I think the heater due to the DC motor will trip the UPS into Overload.

See Answer In Context

4 Replies 4
TheNotoriousKMP_apc
Sisko
Sisko
0 Likes

I don't think you're going to find anything that will be of use to you for under 5000 and you'll need a lot of space to attribute for the runtime requested.

I think you may want to get a UPS just for the initial power failure, then a generator for when the failure kicks in.

LarryS_apc
Cadet
0 Likes

Thanks, Notorious K, but do you or anyone else know how long a less expensive UPS backup battery (say, something that is supposed to keep a computer going for up to 30 minutes) would actually keep going if it only had to power a thermastat-controlled heater and a filter being used in a small tropical-fish aquarium? I am assuming it would keep going much longer if it was powering smaller appliances. Am I right about that?

TheNotoriousKMP_apc
Sisko
Sisko
0 Likes

Under a 50W load it's going to last 2-3 minutes before the UPS senses that it's not powering anything substantial and powers itself off. At 50W, I think the largest runtime you can get is no more than 2 hours.

But mainly, I think the heater due to the DC motor will trip the UPS into Overload.

LarryS_apc
Cadet
0 Likes

What you say must be right because, from Googling, I find no aquarium expert suggesting what I was suggesting. A few say you can modify an automobile battery for backup power, but I'm not up for that. If you have any other ideas, let me know. Thank you again for your expertise on this subject. LarryS