Welcome to the new Schneider Electric Community

It's your place to connect with experts and peers, get continuous support, and share knowledge.

Close
Important Announcement: WELCOME to the new Schneider Electric Community! Community is now no longer part of Exchange, and is now rebranded under se.com. If you have any bookmarks and links saved, we request you to update them to ensure that you continue accessing our community from this new location. For any issues that you might encounter as part of this change, please reach out to SchneiderCommunity.Support@se.com, and the team will help to get your issues resolved.
Invite a Co-worker
Send a co-worker an invite to the Exchange portal.Just enter their email address and we’ll connect them to register. After joining, they will belong to the same company.
Send Invite Cancel
82545members
350156posts

BR1000G "unable to communicate with battery backup" when plug in usb device

APC UPS for Home and Office Forum

Schneider Electric support forum for our APC offers including Home Office UPS, Surge Protectors, UTS, software and services and associated products designed to share knowledge, installation, and configuration.

Solved
coho_apc
Crewman
Crewman
0 Likes

BR1000G "unable to communicate with battery backup" when plug in usb device

This was originally posted on APC forums on 1/24/2012

products in question:

APC BR1000G ups
Powerchute 3.0.0.1

Gigabyte GA-P67X-UD3-B3 motherboard Bios F4 (newer revisions address 22nm cpus)
Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit SP1
intel INF driver 9.3.0.1019
-the ups is plugged into a usb 2.0 port, NOT a usb 3.0 port, but for reference i have tried Etron usb 105 and 107 driver

my problem is that the ups/software work just fine UNTIL i plug in various usb devices such as a cell phone, external hard drive, pda cradle...
when i connect the devices, the powerchute icon in the taskbar pops up momentarily with a message saying "unable to communicate with battery backup",
and then it reconnects and it's all good as if nothing ever happened. This also happens sometimes whenever I send something to print
to the brother mfc 9010cn usb printer. The weird thing is that although this message pops up quite frequently, it doesn't pop up 100% of the time
...it is frequently intermittent.

All of these devices have their own power source, or in some cases are not even powered on, so i can't see it being related to the power drain of these devices...
i'm leaning toward the motherboard being the culprit, but certainly am not sure.

forum and online search has turned up nothing.

any suggestions or ideas?

Message was edited by: coho

Accepted Solutions
BillP
Administrator Administrator
Administrator
0 Likes

Re: BR1000G "unable to communicate with battery backup" when plug in usb device

This reply was originally posted by Jonathan on APC forums on 1/24/2012

Daniel,

Are these devices connected on a USB hub or they plug in directly into the USB port on your PC especially the APC UPS. Also, how is the APC UPS detected by your computer? Is it listed as APC USB or HID UPS?

See Answer In Context

5 Replies 5
BillP
Administrator Administrator
Administrator
0 Likes

This reply was originally posted by Jonathan on APC forums on 1/24/2012

Daniel,

Are these devices connected on a USB hub or they plug in directly into the USB port on your PC especially the APC UPS. Also, how is the APC UPS detected by your computer? Is it listed as APC USB or HID UPS?

coho_apc
Crewman
Crewman
0 Likes

This was originally posted on APC forums on 1/24/2012

Hi Jon,

thanks for your response...

I have all of my devices connected directly to the rear i/o panel of the motherboard...

and as for how the ups is detected by the computer...in device manager i actually see two entries: "apc ups" and "microsoft composite battery"...
unless there is some other method of detection you're wanting...

cheers,E

coho_apc
Crewman
Crewman
0 Likes

This was originally posted on APC forums on 2/2/2012

bump

coho_apc
Crewman
Crewman
0 Likes

This was originally posted on APC forums on 2/9/2012

hello? jonpro...??

denparrish_apc
Cadet
0 Likes

This was originally posted on APC forums on 3/29/2013

I think jonpro stepped out for lunch and should be back in a few months. : - )

We've just installed 30 of these units and have seen the same message appear a few times.  It usually only appear for a second or less and doesn't seem to be a huge problem.