Welcome to the new Schneider Electric Community

It's your place to connect with experts and peers, get continuous support, and share knowledge.

Close
Important Announcement: WELCOME to the new Schneider Electric Community! Community is now no longer part of Exchange, and is now rebranded under se.com. If you have any bookmarks and links saved, we request you to update them to ensure that you continue accessing our community from this new location. For any issues that you might encounter as part of this change, please reach out to SchneiderCommunity.Support@se.com, and the team will help to get your issues resolved.
Invite a Co-worker
Send a co-worker an invite to the Exchange portal.Just enter their email address and we’ll connect them to register. After joining, they will belong to the same company.
Send Invite Cancel
82473members
350045posts

APC UTS10BI Generator power selection

APC UPS for Home and Office Forum

Schneider Electric support forum for our APC offers including Home Office UPS, Surge Protectors, UTS, software and services and associated products designed to share knowledge, installation, and configuration.

Solved
quirititi_apc
Cadet
0 Likes

This was originally posted on APC forums on 8/5/2013

Good day !!

Just bought the UTS10BI (not installed yet) along with the Honda EU6500iS generator. Reading the instruction manual (set-up), I became with a question concerning the initial setting of the generator.

Instruction for the backup 1 (generator) says to enter the power rating of the genetaror but do not mention if this is the "maximum" power rating or the "continuous" power rating.

Can you help me please ??  

Accepted Solutions
BillP
Administrator Administrator
Administrator
0 Likes

Re: APC UTS10BI Generator power selection

This reply was originally posted by E. on APC forums on 10/10/2013

In my limited experience, you may need to experiment a bit.  I have the UTS6H and two EU2000i generators.  So, each 2000 is rated at 1600 continuous and 2000 for up to 30 minutes.  Running on one generator (not, repeat not, on ECO setting), if I set the power rating at anything above 1950, and regardless of actual load, the panel reboots continuously.   So, actual load 175 watts, panel reboots. 1950 or below, the panel doesn't reboot. 

Running at roughly 1200 watts continuously, with occasional spikes to 1750 watts lasting 10 to 15 seconds, the panel goes kinda nutso.  (I am taking those spikes at what the panel reports, and of course the actual short term spike may be different.  I observe the red overload light on the generator flashing for a fraction of a second.)  But it will repeatedly shut down and reactivate circuit 6 (set to delayable, TM, 5 on 5 off) every 10 seconds or so.  It shuts down circuit 2 (delayable, TM, 30 on 30 off).  Then it turns off up to about 4 circuits, turns a couple back on.

If I fire up the second generator and set the generator output at 3200 watts, all of that behavior disappears.  I think it may be that the speed of the throttle motor on the generator, the speed the panel cycles, and my delay/TM settings are all in a little feedback loop.

See Answer In Context

3 Replies 3
quirititi_apc
Cadet
0 Likes

This was originally posted on APC forums on 8/5/2013

Good day !!

Just bought the UTS10BI (not installed yet) along with the Honda EU6500iS generator. Reading the instruction manual (set-up), I became with a question concerning the initial setting of the generator.

Instruction for the backup 1 (generator) says to enter the power rating of the genetaror but do not mention if this is the "maximum" power rating or the "continuous" power rating.

Can you help me please ??  

Boatingrtb_apc
Lieutenant JG
Lieutenant JG
0 Likes

This was originally posted on APC forums on 10/10/2013

with an inverter style generator, I have gone with an "in between" number since the gen can run for a certain time a maximum.  My thinking was if I go into that range, it wouldn't be for more then 30 minutes, i.e. micro, toaster, etc.

BillP
Administrator Administrator
Administrator
0 Likes

This reply was originally posted by E. on APC forums on 10/10/2013

In my limited experience, you may need to experiment a bit.  I have the UTS6H and two EU2000i generators.  So, each 2000 is rated at 1600 continuous and 2000 for up to 30 minutes.  Running on one generator (not, repeat not, on ECO setting), if I set the power rating at anything above 1950, and regardless of actual load, the panel reboots continuously.   So, actual load 175 watts, panel reboots. 1950 or below, the panel doesn't reboot. 

Running at roughly 1200 watts continuously, with occasional spikes to 1750 watts lasting 10 to 15 seconds, the panel goes kinda nutso.  (I am taking those spikes at what the panel reports, and of course the actual short term spike may be different.  I observe the red overload light on the generator flashing for a fraction of a second.)  But it will repeatedly shut down and reactivate circuit 6 (set to delayable, TM, 5 on 5 off) every 10 seconds or so.  It shuts down circuit 2 (delayable, TM, 30 on 30 off).  Then it turns off up to about 4 circuits, turns a couple back on.

If I fire up the second generator and set the generator output at 3200 watts, all of that behavior disappears.  I think it may be that the speed of the throttle motor on the generator, the speed the panel cycles, and my delay/TM settings are all in a little feedback loop.