Welcome to the new Schneider Electric Community

It's your place to connect with experts and peers, get continuous support, and share knowledge.

Close
Important Announcement: WELCOME to the new Schneider Electric Community! Community is now no longer part of Exchange, and is now rebranded under se.com. If you have any bookmarks and links saved, we request you to update them to ensure that you continue accessing our community from this new location. For any issues that you might encounter as part of this change, please reach out to SchneiderCommunity.Support@se.com, and the team will help to get your issues resolved.
Invite a Co-worker
Send a co-worker an invite to the Exchange portal.Just enter their email address and we’ll connect them to register. After joining, they will belong to the same company.
Send Invite Cancel
82122members
349628posts

APC Smart-UPS 1000VA + APC UPS Power Strip

APC UPS for Home and Office Forum

Schneider Electric support forum for our APC offers including Home Office UPS, Surge Protectors, UTS, software and services and associated products designed to share knowledge, installation, and configuration.

Solved
1evander
Cadet
0 Likes

APC Smart-UPS 1000VA + APC UPS Power Strip

I recently purchased APC Smart-UPS 1000VA which has 8 IC14 output connections. Since I use Type F AC outlet type I need IC14 to Type F adapter. The only APC product for that use I could find is APC UPS Power Strip PZ42I-GR which has 4 AC outlets type F and IC14 power plug connector. And the manual explicitly states;

1. A maximum of two UPS power strips can be installed per UPS. Only one can be used with each bank of battery

backup and surge outlets.
2. If a UPS does not have Surge Only outlets then only one UPS power strip is allowed.

Problem is I have 4 (out of eight outlets available. Since I didn't know about this rule I purchased 2 x APC UPS Power Strip PZ42I-GR. What would happen if I connect both so I can have 8 outlets? And is there another/better solution for this problem? Perhaps I can purchase some other non-APC product with 8 outlets?

Tags (1)

Accepted Solutions
APC_Matt
Ensign Ensign
Ensign
0 Likes

Re: APC Smart-UPS 1000VA + APC UPS Power Strip

Hi 

I think you will be ok you just need to make sure you aren't going to overload the output, we likely erred on the side of caution as it's easy to add extensions and keep plugging things in.

Looking at the assemble I don't see an issue plugging one adapter into an outlet on 1 side and 1 on the other side, it won't put any strain on the bus bars then that connect each of the sockets.

Regards

Matt

See Answer In Context

Tags (1)
3 Replies 3
APC_Matt
Ensign Ensign
Ensign
0 Likes

Hi 

I think you will be ok you just need to make sure you aren't going to overload the output, we likely erred on the side of caution as it's easy to add extensions and keep plugging things in.

Looking at the assemble I don't see an issue plugging one adapter into an outlet on 1 side and 1 on the other side, it won't put any strain on the bus bars then that connect each of the sockets.

Regards

Matt

Tags (1)
1evander
Cadet
0 Likes

Hi, thanks for your answer! (is this "official" one?) I am far from output overload. Does this mean that theoretically I could plug another one (third one) as long as I am sure it will not going to overload the output? Just curious.

Tags (1)
BillP
Administrator Administrator
Administrator
0 Likes

@1evander 

You can connect two strips to the the UPS but you must be sure not to overload the UPS. And, you should balance the load between the outlet groups if you UPS has outlet groups.

On the SMT1000C there are two outlet groups. Group 1 and the Main. 

Back of SMT1000C.png

On the SMX1000 there are three outlet groups. 

Back of SMX1000.jpg

If the UPS does not have outlet groups balance the load with one strip per side. 

Back of SMC1000C.JPG

Tags (1)