Welcome to the new Schneider Electric Community

It's your place to connect with experts and peers, get continuous support, and share knowledge.

Close
Important Announcement: WELCOME to the Schneider Electric Community! We have moved to a new address: community.se.com — bookmark it today and contact SchneiderCommunity.Support@se.com if you have any questions!
Invite a Co-worker
Send a co-worker an invite to the Exchange portal.Just enter their email address and we’ll connect them to register. After joining, they will belong to the same company.
Send Invite Cancel
82695members
350419posts

APC 750 Setup and GFCI Outlets

APC UPS for Home and Office Forum

Schneider Electric support forum for our APC offers including Home Office UPS, Surge Protectors, UTS, software and services and associated products designed to share knowledge, installation, and configuration.

Solved
ctmctm_apc
Crewman
Crewman
0 Likes

APC 750 Setup and GFCI Outlets

This was originally posted on APC forums on 7/30/2012

I have an APC 750.

I have only two things plugged into the battery+surge outlets: The computer, which is plugged into the one marked "master", and my monitor.

The UPS battery is plugged directly into the wall outlet, however, the wall outlet is a GFCI outlet.

I had a lightening strike today, and everything shut down ... the monitor went out, and so did the computer. The green lights on the backup UPS appeared to go black for a moment, and then they came back on. (The computer and monitor are fine.)

First, do I have this all configured properly?

Second, is the GFCI outlet a problem? Is the GFCI taking the hit first, and then consequently knocking out power to the backup ups? I would think, if that was the case, the battery would continue to provide power to the PC and the monitor, which it did not in this case.

I should point out that I renovated my home office a month ago, and so I've moved things around, and I"m using new wall outlets. But, prior to the rennovation, this backup ups was working exactly as I expected. But now, it isn't, so I'm wondering what I've done differently to cause this.

Thanks,

ctm

Accepted Solutions
BillP
Administrator Administrator
Administrator
0 Likes

Re: APC 750 Setup and GFCI Outlets

This reply was originally posted by Angela on APC forums on 8/2/2012

if you have everything connected the same way currently and pull the UPS plug from the wall, does it support the load properly? that'd be my biggest question to help determine what could have caused the behavior you saw.

See Answer In Context

3 Replies 3
BillP
Administrator
0 Likes

This reply was originally posted by Angela on APC forums on 7/31/2012

hello,

it sounds like things are plugged in properly..we also have this info on GFCI outlets: http://nam-en.apc.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1344

ctmctm_apc
Crewman
Crewman
0 Likes

This was originally posted on APC forums on 8/2/2012

So, if this all sounds properly setup, then do you have any good ideas why the backup battery would not supply power to the PC and the monitor during this incident?

ctm

BillP
Administrator
0 Likes

This reply was originally posted by Angela on APC forums on 8/2/2012

if you have everything connected the same way currently and pull the UPS plug from the wall, does it support the load properly? that'd be my biggest question to help determine what could have caused the behavior you saw.