Welcome to the new Schneider Electric Community

It's your place to connect with experts and peers, get continuous support, and share knowledge.

• Explore the new navigation for even easier access to your community.
  • Bookmark and use our new, easy-to-remember address (community.se.com).
  • Get ready for more content and an improved experience.

Contact SchneiderCommunity.Support@se.com if you have any questions.

Close
Invite a Co-worker
Send a co-worker an invite to the Exchange portal.Just enter their email address and we’ll connect them to register. After joining, they will belong to the same company.
Send Invite Cancel
84437members
353635posts

Smart-UPS RT 5000 XL: Unknown

APC UPS Data Center & Enterprise Solutions Forum

Schneider Electric support forum for our Data Center and Business Power UPS, UPS Accessories, Software, Services, and associated commercial products designed to share knowledge, installation, and configuration.

Solved
BillP
Administrator Administrator
Administrator
0 Likes

Smart-UPS RT 5000 XL: Unknown

This question was originally posted by email on APC forums on 11/18/2008

Hi.I just recently purchased a new Smart-UPS RT 5000 XL and in the past week I got an error message:
1 Critical Alarm Present
Local Management-To-UPS Communication Lost

Can anyone help me?

Attachments
Tags (5)

Accepted Solutions
Cap1_apc
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander
0 Likes

Re: Smart-UPS RT 5000 XL: Unknown

This was originally posted on APC forums on 11/19/2008

Well, yes, that might be a step.

However, this could be caused by an improperly seated network card. Perhaps a pin is misaligned on the communication backplane. With this unit, you can pull the card without bringing down your load....you just need to flip into bypass on the back of the unit (don't forget to flip back out after!).

I would reseat the card first, see if that helps, then go down the road of resetting the UPS. You would want to do a "braindead" procedure on the UPS:

1. Turn off UPS and remove load
2. Remove input voltage (either remove plug in wall or open input circuit breaker)
3. Press and hold the off button until the unit clicks and flashes front LEDs (usually after 2 seconds of holding off)
4. Plug everything back in, turn on UPS.

See Answer In Context

6 Replies 6
BillP
Administrator
0 Likes

This reply was originally posted by email on APC forums on 4/7/2010

Hello again,
Unfortunately, problem not solved yet. At this moment I have 12 Smart-UPS RT 5000 XL and all of them time to time have the same problem - APC Network Management Card goes down.
Maybe somebody know how to solve this problem? (new firmware, etc)

BillP
Administrator
0 Likes

This reply was originally posted by Laurie on APC forums on 4/7/2010

If you're still running the firmware from the previous screenshot you posted, yes, there is a newer version... Though I'm not sure it will fix your problem, it's worth a shot. You can find the latest version (currently 3.7.2) here under Firmware Upgrades > Network Management Card - just make sure you get the correct version for your card (AP9617/8/9 vs AP9630/1).

Techie_apc
Admiral
Admiral
0 Likes

This was originally posted on APC forums on 4/7/2010

I am not sure if this [K-base|http://nam-en.apc.com/cgi-bin/nam_en.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=770]..helps.

Cap1_apc
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander
0 Likes

This was originally posted on APC forums on 11/18/2008

Hi,

Can you click on the Administration tab, General Sub-button, and then About and let us know what the card has for Application Module and APC OS info? This is the firmware, which could be the issue.

Has this been doing this from day one?

BillP
Administrator
0 Likes

This reply was originally posted by email on APC forums on 11/19/2008

1. Screenshot above.
2. No.From day one this has worked correctly.

Probably, I should restart UPS, but I can't because this UPS supported highly critical servers,which must be work without any stops.

Message was edited by: email

Message was edited by: email

Attachments
Cap1_apc
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander
0 Likes

This was originally posted on APC forums on 11/19/2008

Well, yes, that might be a step.

However, this could be caused by an improperly seated network card. Perhaps a pin is misaligned on the communication backplane. With this unit, you can pull the card without bringing down your load....you just need to flip into bypass on the back of the unit (don't forget to flip back out after!).

I would reseat the card first, see if that helps, then go down the road of resetting the UPS. You would want to do a "braindead" procedure on the UPS:

1. Turn off UPS and remove load
2. Remove input voltage (either remove plug in wall or open input circuit breaker)
3. Press and hold the off button until the unit clicks and flashes front LEDs (usually after 2 seconds of holding off)
4. Plug everything back in, turn on UPS.