Welcome to the new Schneider Electric Community

It's your place to connect with experts and peers, get continuous support, and share knowledge.

• Explore the new navigation for even easier access to your community.
  • Bookmark and use our new, easy-to-remember address (community.se.com).
  • Get ready for more content and an improved experience.

Contact SchneiderCommunity.Support@se.com if you have any questions.

Close
Invite a Co-worker
Send a co-worker an invite to the Exchange portal.Just enter their email address and we’ll connect them to register. After joining, they will belong to the same company.
Send Invite Cancel
84598members
353864posts

ION8650 meter: USB US Robtics V.92 modem

Metering & Power Quality

Collaborate with multiple experts and discuss various topics about Power Meters and Power Quality. From design & implementation to troubleshooting and more, get support from experts and share your experiences by subscribing to the Schneider Electric Exchange forum today.

Solved
Bill_Vandiver
Crewman
Crewman

ION8650 meter: USB US Robtics V.92 modem

I’m not able to connect to an ION meter modem using my laptop with a USB US Robtics V.92 modem. I am able to connect to other manufactured meters but not ION. I’ve tried using the advanced power mode and the basic mode but neither mode has been successful. 

Tags (1)

Accepted Solutions
Charles_Murison
Picard Picard
Picard
0 Likes

Re: ION8650 meter: USB US Robtics V.92 modem

Hello @Bill_Vandiver,

Your setup described sounds like this should work. The Meter's modems are analog devices. When troubleshooting things like it helps to break down items as much as possible

Can you call the meter with a phone? Does the meter pickup the call? Do you hear the modem "talk"?

Assuming yes to above, have to tried different settings inside ION Setup? Generic modem vs Robtics. RTS and DTR under timing? Comm port buffer size (windows setting)?

Regards,

Charles

L4 Prime for Advanced metering and Utilities

See Answer In Context

Tags (1)
6 Replies 6
Charles_Murison
Picard Picard
Picard
0 Likes

Hello @Bill_Vandiver ,

Are you using a Telltone box or some other phone network simulator or directly connected to the meter's modem port or over the phone network? If phone network it is an analog phone or digital network? Does the meter's modem pick up when you call with a phone?

Regards,

Charles

Tags (1)
Bill_Vandiver
Crewman
Crewman
0 Likes

The phone service is a 2 wire POTS line. I'm dialing from my office to various meter sites that are anywhere from 10 miles to 400 miles from my office. Some sites have one meter connected to the POTS line and some sites have two meters that are connected to a POTS line through a call processor (line share switch or teltone box). My laptop is WIN 10 and I'm using ION setup 3.2.21034.01. I honestly do not know if the dial tones are digital or analog. It's my understanding that any equipment that is operating on a POTS line must be supported by analog. I'm able to use this same laptop & USB Robtics modem successfully with other meter vendor software's and meters.

Tags (1)
Charles_Murison
Picard Picard
Picard
0 Likes

Hello @Bill_Vandiver,

Your setup described sounds like this should work. The Meter's modems are analog devices. When troubleshooting things like it helps to break down items as much as possible

Can you call the meter with a phone? Does the meter pickup the call? Do you hear the modem "talk"?

Assuming yes to above, have to tried different settings inside ION Setup? Generic modem vs Robtics. RTS and DTR under timing? Comm port buffer size (windows setting)?

Regards,

Charles

Tags (1)
Bill_Vandiver
Crewman
Crewman
0 Likes

Can you call the meter with a phone? Does the meter pickup the call? Do you hear the modem "talk"? YES

Assuming yes to above, have to tried different settings inside ION Setup? Generic modem vs Robtics. YES

RTS and DTR under timing? Comm port buffer size (windows setting)?Screenshot - 4_23_2021 , 2_24_17 PM.jpg

The message that I receive from the ION Setup software is "Error Communicating with Modem" and then "Modem Configuration Problem". I honestly believe that ION Setup has a conflict with this particular modem that other meter read software's do not have.

Tags (1)
Bill_Vandiver
Crewman
Crewman
0 Likes

ION8650 meter: USB US Robtics V.92 modem - Solved

Charles,

I had been focusing on using US Robotics as the manufacturer type, but I started over and selected "Other" as the manufacture type, "Generic" as the model, using 9600 baud and this solved the issue. Thank you for guiding me to the solution.

Tags (1)
ddtr5
Crewman
Crewman
0 Likes

you solution works thanks Read more

Tags (1)