Welcome to the new Schneider Electric Community

It's your place to connect with experts and peers, get continuous support, and share knowledge.

• Explore the new navigation for even easier access to your community.
  • Bookmark and use our new, easy-to-remember address (community.se.com).
  • Get ready for more content and an improved experience.

Contact SchneiderCommunity.Support@se.com if you have any questions.

Close
Invite a Co-worker
Send a co-worker an invite to the Exchange portal.Just enter their email address and we’ll connect them to register. After joining, they will belong to the same company.
Send Invite Cancel
84266members
353371posts

Information on automating tasks in a large datacenter

EcoStruxure IT forum

A support forum for Data Center Operation, Data Center Expert, and EcoStruxure IT product users to share knowledge on installation, configuration, and general product use.

Solved
DCIM_Support
Picard
Picard
0 Likes

Information on automating tasks in a large datacenter

This question was originally posted on DCIM Support by rufftom05 on 2016-01-15

I would like to know if there are other methods of making changes to devices, and other administrative tasks by automating some tasks, if so, how to implement them in Struxtureware Operation. My company (GM) has thousands of devices that are constantly changing, and our current team is unable to manually keep up a lot of these changes. I saw some information in the developer documentation section for working with ETLs, and using SOAP or .NET APIs, so I know there are options.  Some type of step-by-step instructions, or possibly even talking with someone on the phone would be very helpful. I have been able to find bits and pieces of how to do some things, but nothing explaining things in enough detail, or even what options there are. Thanks.

(CID:105460259)

Accepted Solutions
DCIM_Support
Picard
Picard
0 Likes

Re: Information on automating tasks in a large datacenter

This answer was originally posted on DCIM Support by Ajay Nagar on 2016-01-15

Hi Thomas, 

ETL and other APIs are suitable for integrating with external systems and sources. Do you have software systems/spread sheets in place that keep track of changes and other administrative tasks that you talk about?

More information on ETL can be found here, along with some basic examples. 

help.se-dmaas.com/display/DCIMDEVELOPER/ETL+-+Extract+Transform+Load  

http://dcimsupport.apc.com/display/public/DCIMDEVELOPER/ETL+Integration+Examples 

Please get in touch with your Schneider Electric Account Manager or DCIM Sales rep and they will be able to setup a call with our integration experts as applicable. 

Best, 

Ajay

(CID:105460262)

See Answer In Context

8 Replies 8
DCIM_Support
Picard
Picard
0 Likes

This answer was originally posted on DCIM Support by Ajay Nagar on 2016-01-15

Hi Thomas, 

ETL and other APIs are suitable for integrating with external systems and sources. Do you have software systems/spread sheets in place that keep track of changes and other administrative tasks that you talk about?

More information on ETL can be found here, along with some basic examples. 

help.se-dmaas.com/display/DCIMDEVELOPER/ETL+-+Extract+Transform+Load  

http://dcimsupport.apc.com/display/public/DCIMDEVELOPER/ETL+Integration+Examples 

Please get in touch with your Schneider Electric Account Manager or DCIM Sales rep and they will be able to setup a call with our integration experts as applicable. 

Best, 

Ajay

(CID:105460262)

DCIM_Support
Picard
Picard
0 Likes

This comment was originally posted on DCIM Support by rufftom05 on 2016-01-15

Yes we do to some extent. We have cut sheets in Excel that we work out of telling us information such as to hostname/device/location/type of device/cable type/port number, as well as other spreadsheets that track removal of cables/devices. There isn’t is a central repository of that information. They are located in our Sharepoint in separate spreadsheets. So for the most part, yes we do, but the problem is how to get that information into Struxtureware.

(CID:105460263)

DCIM_Support
Picard
Picard
0 Likes

This comment was originally posted on DCIM Support by Ajay Nagar on 2016-01-15

Okay, I believe an ETL based integration would automate the process and get the information from spreadsheets into SxW system. Please contact your Schneider representative for a demo/discussion.

(CID:105460264)

DCIM_Support
Picard
Picard
0 Likes

This answer was originally posted on DCIM Support by Ed Tarento on 2016-01-17

Hi Thomas

I agree with Ajay.  The Pacific Zone has considerable experience with these DCO integrations for both "seeding" DCO from customer's existing Excel data and/or using ETL to continually "augment" existing DCO info with external info.  Best to be quite clear on desired outcomes, customer use cases and work flows  before you get too far into the technology.  Having intimate knowledge of what DCO is and isn't capable of in these regards, is crucial during these early assessment/consultative activities.

Cheers

(CID:105460298)

DCIM_Support
Picard
Picard
0 Likes

This comment was originally posted on DCIM Support by rufftom05 on 2016-01-19

Thanks for the response Ed. Ajay has reached out to me to set-up a meeting to discuss all things integration related. Of the research i've done so far, what you said above aligns with what I've read, so i'm optimistic we'll find some integration solutions(s).

(CID:105460518)

DCIM_Support
Picard
Picard
0 Likes

This comment was originally posted on DCIM Support by Anders Thorbjørn Jensen on 2016-01-18

Hi rufftom05 I see that you already have gotten a few good answers below - I'd be very interested in what kind of integrations you are looking for. I suggest that we have a meeting where you present your integration needs. Based on that we can advise about the current possibilities and perhaps collaborate on the areas that might not meet your current requirements. I'll reach out to you my mail with a couple of suggested meeting dates. Best Regards Anders

(CID:105460374)

DCIM_Support
Picard
Picard
0 Likes

This comment was originally posted on DCIM Support by rufftom05 on 2016-01-19

Anders, Thanks for the response. Ajay has reached out to me via email, and we're in the process of setting up a meeting for later this week to discuss our requirements. We'll see what our options are, and go from there, thanks.

(CID:105460530)

DCIM_Support
Picard
Picard
0 Likes

🔒 Closed

This question is closed for comments. You're welcome to start a new topic if you have further comments on this issue.