Welcome to the new Schneider Electric Community

It's your place to connect with experts and peers, get continuous support, and share knowledge.

• Explore the new navigation for even easier access to your community.
  • Bookmark and use our new, easy-to-remember address (community.se.com).
  • Get ready for more content and an improved experience.

Contact SchneiderCommunity.Support@se.com if you have any questions.

Close
Invite a Co-worker
Send a co-worker an invite to the Exchange portal.Just enter their email address and we’ll connect them to register. After joining, they will belong to the same company.
Send Invite Cancel
84249members
353348posts

Failure of resetting users password (Viewx), HELP!!!

EcoStruxure Geo SCADA Expert Forum

Find out how SCADA systems and networks, like EcoStruxure Geo SCADA Expert, help industrial organizations maintaining efficiency, processing data for smarter decision making with IoT, RTU and PLC devices.

Solved
BGedco2022
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander
0 Likes

Failure of resetting users password (Viewx), HELP!!!

Hello everyone,

Our client moved their system to Hot-Standby architecture. Therefore, they exports their database to new servers.

Since that, reset password utility unable to change any password for any user.

We tries to trace the log files or events list but nothing found related to the issue.

Appreciate any hint

Attachments

Accepted Solutions
AndrewScott
Commander
Commander
0 Likes

Re: Failure of resetting users password (Viewx), HELP!!!

@BGedco2022 wrote:

Our client moved their system to Hot-Standby architecture. Therefore, they exports their database to new servers.

This isn't the best way to move a database from one machine to another as it won't preserve any user passwords, current data or historic data (SDE files only contain configuration and don't include user passwords).

The best way is to shutdown the original server, copy the database folder(s) to the first new server and then start the new server.  Once the first new server is up and running, start the second new server and allow the database to synchronise. This is assuming the two new servers have already been configured as a hot-standby pair.

By default the database is located at "C:\ProgramData\Schneider Electric\ClearSCADA\Database", however this is often changed and may be split across multiple folders (e.g. historic data may have its own disk(s)), which will need to be taken into account when copying the database.

Andrew Scott, Lead Engineer, AVEVA

See Answer In Context

11 Replies 11
BevanWeiss
Spock
Spock
0 Likes

What user account are you trying to use to change the password?

1. Their own user account
  2. An administrator account (with Security permissions for the user account in question)
  3. The Super User account

Is the user account definitely just a GeoSCADA Expert located account, and not associated with an External Authentication system (LogonUser/LDAP/LDAPS)?  You're not able to change passwords for External Authentication accounts from within GeoSCADA Expert.

You'd likely want to look through the server log to identify what is happening if none of the above trigger a correction.

If it's not obvious from the server logs, then you'll want to raise the case to your local software Tech Support.

Lead Control Systems Engineer for Alliance Automation (VIC).
All opinions are my own and do not represent the opinions or policies of my employer, or of my cat..
BGedco2022
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander
0 Likes

non of the accounts were able to change password. and the user account is not associated with an External Authentication system.

1. @BevanWeiss wrote:

What user account are you trying to use to change the password?

1. Their own user account
    2. An administrator account (with Security permissions for the user account in question)
    3. The Super User account

Note: recently, we noticed that the reset password utility worked fine when the standby server became main. but not on the main server it self.

geoffpatton
Commander
Commander
0 Likes

My guess is that the the security settings on it the two servers are not set the same.

To make sure the servers are configured identically, I would go through the server settings on both and make sure that everything is set the same on the new server as it is on the old, except the Name\IP Address for the Standby A.

bamador
Crewman
Crewman
0 Likes

Hi BGedco,

It maybe a long shot besides what Bevan suggested. In the past I have had to shutdown the database service and delete the self-signed certificates for the system to allow password change. 

• Shutdown Database Service
  • Delete .cer and .key files in C:\ProgramData\Schneider Electric\ClearSCADA\Certificates directory.
  • Start Database service

See if that allows you to change your password. After those steps are performed. 

-Brandon

BGedco2022
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander
0 Likes

Hi @bamador ,

thanks for caring.

We did apply these steps on both servers(main, standby) but nothing was changed still can not change password and know on both servers!!

We appreciate any help

BevanWeiss
Spock
Spock
0 Likes

What do the log files say?

I think you should follow this up with your local tech support for the most timely responses.

All opinions are my own and do not represent the opinions or policies of my employer, or of my cat..
BGedco2022
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander
0 Likes

We traced the log files where not found any related log about change password utility.

We even had upgraded GEOSCADA on both servers but change password utility still the same not work

AndrewScott
Commander
Commander
0 Likes

@BGedco2022 wrote:

This isn't the best way to move a database from one machine to another as it won't preserve any user passwords, current data or historic data (SDE files only contain configuration and don't include user passwords).

The best way is to shutdown the original server, copy the database folder(s) to the first new server and then start the new server.  Once the first new server is up and running, start the second new server and allow the database to synchronise. This is assuming the two new servers have already been configured as a hot-standby pair.

By default the database is located at "C:\ProgramData\Schneider Electric\ClearSCADA\Database", however this is often changed and may be split across multiple folders (e.g. historic data may have its own disk(s)), which will need to be taken into account when copying the database.

Andrew Scott, Lead Engineer, AVEVA
BGedco2022
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander
0 Likes

Dear @AndrewScott 

thanks for your concerns,

We did used the right methodology you explained during moving to hot-standby model

BevanWeiss
Spock
Spock
0 Likes

I think you'll need to provide information on the server configurations.

For each server you should attach the below info... redacted as to sensitive information

Partner Settings

2022-01-19 22_34_08-GeoSCADA Expert 2021 Win2016 - VMware Workstation.png

External Authentication

2022-01-19 22_35_29-GeoSCADA Expert 2021 Win2016 - VMware Workstation.png

Security

2022-01-19 22_35_46-GeoSCADA Expert 2021 Win2016 - VMware Workstation.png

You should also provide information on which server (server #1 or server #2) the client is connected to when the error occurs.

2022-01-19 22_37_34-GeoSCADA Expert 2021 Win2016 - VMware Workstation.png

BGedco2022
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander
0 Likes

Thanks @AndrewScott 

based on your recommendations, we did that and it worked just fine