TAC Vista will not dial out to an Xenta 901 network as expected e.g. when opening a graphic or selecting a remote controller in the folder view.
- TAC Vista 4
- TAC Vista 5
The COM port and /or the Xenta 901 network are not correctly configured.
- Check that Vista is in Operating mode. See Opening a graphic will not cause TAC Vista to dial out to a Xenta 901 Network for details.
- Check that the COM port your modem is connected to is correctly configured in Vista. The port object in Vista will be of the type 'Communication Port - Modem'. Hopefully, it will have a meaningful name relating to the connected modem. In the properties for the port check that the Device Address refers to the correct physical COM port. The Device Address is of the form "server_name-COM_xx", where COM_01 will be the first port defined in Vista. If you have multiple COM ports or a USB/RS232 converter, this may not be the address you want. You can manually change this to the required port: for example COM_03. You can see which physical ports are available in Device Manager.
- In the properties for the port check that Traffic direction is set for outgoing traffic. Normally you will set this to "Incoming and outgoing traffic", but you might want "Only outgoing traffic" if you don't want to receive alarms or trend logs via this modem.
- Check that the port has been assigned to the Xenta 901 Network. In the properties for the Xenta 901 Network - Modem select the "Ports" tab. This displays a table listing all the communication ports this network will use. If the table is empty Vista will attempt to dial out on all ports not set as "Only incoming traffic". If you have multiple ports this is probably not what you want, so use the Add and Delete buttons to select only the ports that you want this network to use.
- In the properties for the Xenta 901 Network - Modem select the "Outgoing Traffic" tab. Check that the phone number shown is correct for the remote site. If Vista is dialing out through a PABX, prefix the phone number with "9,". The comma after the nine tells the modem to wait 1-5 seconds (adjustable via your modems command set) so that a dialing tone can be obtained from the PABX.
- If you are using the recommended US Robotics modem, the many default parameters for the comm port and the Xenta 901 Network - Modem should let Vista dial out without further modification.