BACnet/IP controllers are not configured in RSTP Mode by default, therefore must be configured during installation. Having RSTP Mode disabled by default allows one to connect BACnet/IP controllers to any switch, even with port security configured to detect BPDU packets and disable the port.
EcoStruxure Building Operation, TAC IA Series
- Multi-purpose Controller (MP-C)
- Multi-purpose VAV (MP-V)
- Room Controller
- I/A Series N4 Jace8000
- SmartX IP Driver for Niagara
RSTP protocol requires that controllers, switches, and network architecture are configured to ensure the protocol will operate as expected.
Setting RSTP Mode for BACnet/IP Controllers
ALL devices in the RSTP loop MUST BE IN RSTP MODE to function properly. This is not a huge issue because during startup you can unplug 2nd side of the loop and it will function properly in a daisy chain.
- Ensure the SmartX Controllers are configured correctly Configuring BACnet/IP Controller Device Settings
- A factory or network reset returns the RSTP setting to Disabled.
- Important: Whenever you make changes to RSTP the controller MUST be restarted. If you fail to perform this restart, the BACnet/IP controller will continue communicating using its previous RSTP settings. 'Activate IP Changes' does not affect RSTP mode.
- Ensure the switch is configured properly per Configuring RSTP on a Managed Switch for SmartX IP Controllers
- Bridge Priority = 4096
- Hello Time = 2 sec
- Max Age = 40 (40 is the maximum value allowed by the protocol. Default is 20)
- Forward Delay = 21 sec
- Change Bridge Priority by adding 4096 as switches get further away from AS. (8192, 12288, 16384, 20480, 24576, 28672)
- DO NOT set the priority as 32768 or higher because that is the built-in Bridge Priority of BACnet/IP Controllers.
- Configure the Root Bridge Switch (closest to Automation Server) settings first
- Then configure the additional Switches in order of increasing Bridge Priority.
- Plug in 2nd side of the RSTP Loop
- If all devices stay online, then it is working properly. Now test line breaks or controllers that are powered off.
- If all devices go offline and/or the switch LED is flashing rapidly, then go to RSTP Troubleshooting.
Managed Switch Troubleshooting
- Ensure the switch is IEEE 802.1D - 2004 capable. BACnet/IP Controller Networking Term Definitions RSTP Ring mentions the Rapid Spanning Tree Protocol is specified in IEEE 802.1D - 2004.
- Ensure the firmware is up-to-date by contacting the vendor or manufacturer or downloading it from its website.
- Ensure ports not participating in RSTP are configured as Edge Port, Admin port, or have STP disabled. Nomenclature for those settings on your specific managed switch may vary so consult the documentation or contact the vendor or manufacturer to assist with configuration.
- Adding BACnet/IP controllers to site-managed switches, work with Local IT to add these devices to their network. They will need to work with their switch vendor/manufacturer/support group to ensure the configuration of those switches because it could be more complex than changing the minimum recommended four settings above. Also, since RSTP Protocol is limited to Max Age = 40 (hops including site switches and BACnet/IP controllers), there may be limits on the size of each loop based on their site switch network configuration and architecture.
Check each BACnet/IP Controller -> Diagnostics -> Device Report to confirm in RSTP Mode
- MANUAL CHECKOUT
- Double-click MP - Diagnostics Files - Device Report
- It will open in the default text editor
- Review the Device Settings section near the bottom.
- In firmware 1.00.0x, the report should report RSTP Mode: Enable
- In firmware 2.00.0x or higher, RSTP: Enabled and RSTP Status: Operational
- If it reports disabled, then perform Setting RSTP Mode for BACnet IP Controllers Step 1 until RSTP is working properly.
- USE SEARCH & EVENTS
- EBO 2.x MP Device IP and Settings.xml for EBO 2.0 as it only includes MP controllers
- EBO 3.x SmartX Device IP and Settings.xml for EBO 3.x or higher
- Import attached search
- USE RSTP STATUS GRAPHIC IN WEBSTATION
- MUST BE EBO 3.1 or higher which includes ClientAPI support
- Fusion Fridays - Session 07
- The start of the video shows the graphics page in use
- RSTP Status.zip is downloaded via the link below the video.
- Extract the TGML and drop it on the AS to import. The suggestion is to store TGML directly under the AS to help with navigation in Webstation.
- bind Network to the BACnet/IP network with the BACnet/IP Controllers. (You may need a second TGML page if BACnet/IP controllers are on Primary and Secondary IP)
- Run from web browser via WebStation because utilizes ClientAPI
- Factory Reset or controller replacement should leave one ethernet cable unplugged until configured for RSTP per these articles: Replace a BACnet/IP Controller in an RSTP Ring Network Workflow and MP Controller Reset Modes
- If BACnet/IP Controller Device Report OR RSTP Graphic reports RSTP Status: Changes Pending instead of RSTP Status: Operational, disable RSTP Mode, restart, re-enable RSTP Mode, restart, and check again.
- If Firmware 3.02.01 is installed, please upgrade to 3.02.02.
- SmartX is now SpaceLogic.