Welcome to the new Schneider Electric Community

It's your place to connect with experts and peers, get continuous support, and share knowledge.

Close
Important Announcement: WELCOME to the new Schneider Electric Community! Community is now no longer part of Exchange, and is now rebranded under se.com. If you have any bookmarks and links saved, we request you to update them to ensure that you continue accessing our community from this new location. For any issues that you might encounter as part of this change, please reach out to SchneiderCommunity.Support@se.com, and the team will help to get your issues resolved.
Invite a Co-worker
Send a co-worker an invite to the Exchange portal.Just enter their email address and we’ll connect them to register. After joining, they will belong to the same company.
Send Invite Cancel
82403members
349907posts

UTS design question

APC UPS for Home and Office Forum

Schneider Electric support forum for our APC offers including Home Office UPS, Surge Protectors, UTS, software and services and associated products designed to share knowledge, installation, and configuration.

Solved
BillP
Administrator Administrator
Administrator
0 Likes

UTS design question

This question was originally posted by E. on APC forums on 9/16/2013

My UTS6H is scheduled to be wired in next week, covering my key circuits:  sump pump, furnance, well pump, refrigerator and a lighting circuit or two.  It got me thinking, is the UTS designed so that if it fails, the circuits remain on utility power?  In other words, in the 99.9% of the time when utility power is fine, but the circuit board were to fail, is the design such that circuits wouldn't be failed over on to the backup source?

Accepted Solutions
BillP
Administrator
0 Likes

Re: UTS design question

This reply was originally posted by E. on APC forums on 9/20/2013

I think I see from the circuit diagram how they would work to bypass a circuit, but I won't say it here in case I'm wrong.

I think it would be helpful to have something authoritative.  After all, these are critical circuits I'm moving onto an electronic device with, no offense, a two year warranty, and if I understand you, if it fails my critical circuits fail.

Also, kudos to the engineers for providing a simple way to restore functionality if the panel fails. 

See Answer In Context

4 Replies 4
BillP
Administrator
0 Likes

This reply was originally posted by Angela on APC forums on 9/16/2013

If the panel were to fail, you would have to manually bypass the failed circuit by placing the included faston in line with the Input and Output of the designated circuit.

BillP
Administrator
0 Likes

This reply was originally posted by E. on APC forums on 9/17/2013

Thanks.  Is this documented somewhere?  I couldn't find it in the operations and installation manuals.

BillP
Administrator
0 Likes

This reply was originally posted by Angela on APC forums on 9/17/2013

I only found it here -> http://www.apcmedia.com/salestools/KBOK-74JRFQ/KBOK-74JRFQ_R3_EN.pdf in the inventory section where it lists fastons. No good details on the purpose of them or when to use them.

I will see if this could be a knowledge base..

BillP
Administrator
0 Likes

This reply was originally posted by E. on APC forums on 9/20/2013

I think I see from the circuit diagram how they would work to bypass a circuit, but I won't say it here in case I'm wrong.

I think it would be helpful to have something authoritative.  After all, these are critical circuits I'm moving onto an electronic device with, no offense, a two year warranty, and if I understand you, if it fails my critical circuits fail.

Also, kudos to the engineers for providing a simple way to restore functionality if the panel fails.