Welcome to the new Schneider Electric Community

It's your place to connect with experts and peers, get continuous support, and share knowledge.

Close
Important Announcement: WELCOME to the new Schneider Electric Community! Community is now no longer part of Exchange, and is now rebranded under se.com. If you have any bookmarks and links saved, we request you to update them to ensure that you continue accessing our community from this new location. For any issues that you might encounter as part of this change, please reach out to SchneiderCommunity.Support@se.com, and the team will help to get your issues resolved.
Invite a Co-worker
Send a co-worker an invite to the Exchange portal.Just enter their email address and we’ll connect them to register. After joining, they will belong to the same company.
Send Invite Cancel
82396members
349901posts

Simple monitoring for BK650MC

APC UPS for Home and Office Forum

Schneider Electric support forum for our APC offers including Home Office UPS, Surge Protectors, UTS, software and services and associated products designed to share knowledge, installation, and configuration.

Solved
mekelly_apc
Cadet
0 Likes

Simple monitoring for BK650MC

This was originally posted on APC forums on 3/7/2014

Hi, I am trying to set up simple monitoring (on battery power/off battery power) and graceful shutdown with a BK650MC.  I know it's a discontinued unit but  here's my set up:

- Desktop running Windows 7 64 bit Pro (with no serial port)

- BK650MC UPS

- Serial to USB converter (female DB9 to connect to UPS on one end, other end is a USB connection to the computer)

Is this even possible?  I believe it is using the 'professional' version of PowerChute from what I've read, not the personal version but no matter how I configure it, the software doesn't see the UPS.  The serial to USB cable is working as it's recognized by Windows and the device driver installs correctly.

It's not the end of the world but I'd love to have the PC shut down gracefully if I lose power when I am not around.

Any thoughts, tips, suggestions?  I really don't want to buy a new UPS to get shutdown functionality, so willing to get creative to try to make this work.

Thanks!!!

Accepted Solutions
BillP
Administrator Administrator
Administrator
0 Likes

Re: Simple monitoring for BK650MC

This reply was originally posted by Bill on APC forums on 3/10/2014

Hi,

What software are you using? Windows Power Options in the control panel, APCUPSD, or PowerChute?

Thanks,

See Answer In Context

2 Replies 2
mekelly_apc
Cadet
0 Likes

This was originally posted on APC forums on 3/7/2014

I got it to work.  I installed the manufacturers driver for the serial to USB cable (instead of the Windows 7 default drivers) and it worked!  Simple monitoring is working and it shuts down the system gracefully when the configuration calls for it.

Be aware that APC support said you couldn't do this (simple monitoring on a Win 7 machine with a BK650MC). 

BillP
Administrator Administrator
Administrator
0 Likes

This reply was originally posted by Bill on APC forums on 3/10/2014

Hi,

What software are you using? Windows Power Options in the control panel, APCUPSD, or PowerChute?

Thanks,