Welcome to the new Schneider Electric Community

It's your place to connect with experts and peers, get continuous support, and share knowledge.

Close
Important Announcement: WELCOME to the new Schneider Electric Community! Community is now no longer part of Exchange, and is now rebranded under se.com. If you have any bookmarks and links saved, we request you to update them to ensure that you continue accessing our community from this new location. For any issues that you might encounter as part of this change, please reach out to SchneiderCommunity.Support@se.com, and the team will help to get your issues resolved.
Invite a Co-worker
Send a co-worker an invite to the Exchange portal.Just enter their email address and we’ll connect them to register. After joining, they will belong to the same company.
Send Invite Cancel
82122members
349628posts

Signal 2 NAS's from an APC Back-UPS CS 350 UPS

APC UPS for Home and Office Forum

Schneider Electric support forum for our APC offers including Home Office UPS, Surge Protectors, UTS, software and services and associated products designed to share knowledge, installation, and configuration.

Solved
aberkeley_apc
Cadet
0 Likes

Signal 2 NAS's from an APC Back-UPS CS 350 UPS

This was originally posted on APC forums on 9/21/2011

Hi,
I have just added a new QNAP NAS to my system in parallel to an existing QNAP NAS, there is only one USB signalling port on the UPS, but i want to be able to shut down both boxes. Is there a dual usb cable available or should i make one? Any suggestions on how to do this without having to purchase another UPS would be greatly appreaciated - 2 UPS for 2 NAS seems a little overkill for home use!

cheers

anthony

Accepted Solutions
henkgg_apc
Ensign
Ensign
0 Likes

Re: Signal 2 NAS's from an APC Back-UPS CS 350 UPS

This was originally posted on APC forums on 9/22/2011

I do not own a QNAP, nor your type of APC UPS (Synology DS210j + APC BE700G).
From what I have read, both Synology and QNAP do support this, standard functionality. The USB connected NAS acts as a master, the other NAS as a slave. The IP address of the NAS slave must be known by the master NAS. If the master NAS is about to shut down, it signals -over LAN- to the slave. Of course the power of your router must be supplied by the UPS also then.
I do not use this setup, and can't test it: I own just one NAS.

What I did test, and it worked: The NAS, USB connected to the UPS as master, my laptop as slave (only connected by WLAN). This required installing a NUT client on the laptop. I found this info helpful: http://www.gadgetvictims.com/2010/02/battery-backup-solution-for-home.html
So, if this works, why wouldn't a two NAS setup of the same brand work? Your slave NAS doesn't need a kind of NUT client, its built in.

I hope this helps. Check out the QNAP manual, and the QNAP forum!

See Answer In Context

2 Replies 2
BillP
Administrator Administrator
Administrator
0 Likes

This reply was originally posted by Angela on APC forums on 9/21/2011

hi anthony,

i am not aware of a way to get this to work on any Back UPS. For a Smart UPS, you might have a different option with a network management card but the Back UPS are designed to work with one direct connection. i am not sure if there is a way to get around that but i haven't heard of one in my time working with these products.

henkgg_apc
Ensign
Ensign
0 Likes

This was originally posted on APC forums on 9/22/2011

I do not own a QNAP, nor your type of APC UPS (Synology DS210j + APC BE700G).
From what I have read, both Synology and QNAP do support this, standard functionality. The USB connected NAS acts as a master, the other NAS as a slave. The IP address of the NAS slave must be known by the master NAS. If the master NAS is about to shut down, it signals -over LAN- to the slave. Of course the power of your router must be supplied by the UPS also then.
I do not use this setup, and can't test it: I own just one NAS.

What I did test, and it worked: The NAS, USB connected to the UPS as master, my laptop as slave (only connected by WLAN). This required installing a NUT client on the laptop. I found this info helpful: http://www.gadgetvictims.com/2010/02/battery-backup-solution-for-home.html
So, if this works, why wouldn't a two NAS setup of the same brand work? Your slave NAS doesn't need a kind of NUT client, its built in.

I hope this helps. Check out the QNAP manual, and the QNAP forum!