Welcome to the new Schneider Electric Community

It's your place to connect with experts and peers, get continuous support, and share knowledge.

Close
Important Announcement: WELCOME to the new Schneider Electric Community! Community is now no longer part of Exchange, and is now rebranded under se.com. If you have any bookmarks and links saved, we request you to update them to ensure that you continue accessing our community from this new location. For any issues that you might encounter as part of this change, please reach out to SchneiderCommunity.Support@se.com, and the team will help to get your issues resolved.
Invite a Co-worker
Send a co-worker an invite to the Exchange portal.Just enter their email address and we’ll connect them to register. After joining, they will belong to the same company.
Send Invite Cancel
82545members
350156posts

Problem with APC coax cable protection

APC UPS for Home and Office Forum

Schneider Electric support forum for our APC offers including Home Office UPS, Surge Protectors, UTS, software and services and associated products designed to share knowledge, installation, and configuration.

Solved
BillP
Administrator Administrator
Administrator
0 Likes

Problem with APC coax cable protection

This question was originally posted by Xarx on APC forums on 1/15/2013

I've bought the surge protection APC P5BV-FR with coax cable protection, in order to use it with cable TV. The coax protection works fine, but it filters out all TV channels on the 3rd digital multiplex (674Mhz, channels 22-31; I'm not sure about the terminology). Hence, this coax cable protection is unusable to me.
I haven't found any documentation to this surge protection describing which frequencies are inhibited by the coax cable protection.

My question is:
Should I claim for the surge protection replacement, or is this its "feature"?
Would be this frequency inhibition different for the German version of this product, P5BV-GR?
Or, can be this frequency inhibition "shifted" to another frequencies?

== Details ==
Without the surge protection:
* DTV-C signal strength: 65%
* Signal quality: 99%
With the surge protection
* Signal strength: 60%
* Signal quality: 99% with the exception of the 3rd multiplex
* Signal quality: <10% for the 3rd multiplex.
(I don't know the meaning of these numbers, this is what my TV displays.)

Martin.

Accepted Solutions
BillP
Administrator
0 Likes

Re: Problem with APC coax cable protection

This reply was originally posted by Chris on APC forums on 1/21/2013

Unfortunately, when you use a product like this, you are essentially adding a "middle man" which creates signal loss. I also don't fully understand this type of terminology either as far as why this would happen. It's possible it could be a product issue but I would guess it's not. Personally I would suggest calling tech support for your area and see if they can replace it. The problem with that is, we cannot be sure it's our product that's the problem but they may be willing to send you another to test.

See Answer In Context

1 Reply 1
BillP
Administrator
0 Likes

Re: Problem with APC coax cable protection

This reply was originally posted by Chris on APC forums on 1/21/2013

Unfortunately, when you use a product like this, you are essentially adding a "middle man" which creates signal loss. I also don't fully understand this type of terminology either as far as why this would happen. It's possible it could be a product issue but I would guess it's not. Personally I would suggest calling tech support for your area and see if they can replace it. The problem with that is, we cannot be sure it's our product that's the problem but they may be willing to send you another to test.