Welcome to the new Schneider Electric Community

It's your place to connect with experts and peers, get continuous support, and share knowledge.

Close
Important Announcement: WELCOME to the Schneider Electric Community! We have moved to a new address: community.se.com — bookmark it today and contact SchneiderCommunity.Support@se.com if you have any questions!
Invite a Co-worker
Send a co-worker an invite to the Exchange portal.Just enter their email address and we’ll connect them to register. After joining, they will belong to the same company.
Send Invite Cancel
82696members
350420posts

Plug a power strip into an APC UPS?

APC UPS for Home and Office Forum

Schneider Electric support forum for our APC offers including Home Office UPS, Surge Protectors, UTS, software and services and associated products designed to share knowledge, installation, and configuration.

Solved
cwbillow_apc
Crewman
Crewman
0 Likes

Plug a power strip into an APC UPS?

This was originally posted on APC forums on 3/23/2013

It seems like everything today comes with big wide plugs -- plugs that then cover up any socket on either side. So, instead of three plugs, at best I have two or even just one.

Can I plug a power strip into the UPS as long as I don't exceed the number of devices that the UPS had sockets for anyway?  That way I could spread out the plugs themselves.

Regards,

Chuck Billow

Accepted Solutions
cwbillow_apc
Crewman
Crewman
0 Likes

Re: Plug a power strip into an APC UPS?

This was originally posted on APC forums on 3/25/2013

Angela / BlueSky;

I'm glad to hear that.  It solves a couple of issues.

Thanks,

Chuck

See Answer In Context

3 Replies 3
BillP
Administrator Administrator
Administrator
0 Likes

This reply was originally posted by Joe on APC forums on 3/25/2013

There is nothing intrinsically wrong with plugging a power strip into the UPS.  I do it in my own installations using the SmartUPS 3000 and 1500Rm2U that I have.  Also, it's not necessarily the number of devices plugged into the UPS but, rather, is limited by the connected devices exceeding the total power handling capabilities of the particular UPS.

Also, I have read somewhere that the power strip that you should choose should NOT provide any protection capabilities, filtering, etc. as it's not good practice to install protection devices in series with one another.

I think you'll be safe as long as you employ good safety practices when stringing the additonal wiring.  Hope this helps.

BillP
Administrator Administrator
Administrator
0 Likes

This reply was originally posted by Angela on APC forums on 3/25/2013

What Joe Keifer said is correct. Just because you have more outlets, make sure you do not overload your UPS.

cwbillow_apc
Crewman
Crewman
0 Likes

This was originally posted on APC forums on 3/25/2013

Angela / BlueSky;

I'm glad to hear that.  It solves a couple of issues.

Thanks,

Chuck