Welcome to the new Schneider Electric Community

It's your place to connect with experts and peers, get continuous support, and share knowledge.

Close
Important Announcement: WELCOME to the new Schneider Electric Community! Community is now no longer part of Exchange, and is now rebranded under se.com. If you have any bookmarks and links saved, we request you to update them to ensure that you continue accessing our community from this new location. For any issues that you might encounter as part of this change, please reach out to SchneiderCommunity.Support@se.com, and the team will help to get your issues resolved.
Invite a Co-worker
Send a co-worker an invite to the Exchange portal.Just enter their email address and we’ll connect them to register. After joining, they will belong to the same company.
Send Invite Cancel
82548members
350159posts

Placement of UPS. Minimum distance between several UPS. Back-UPS 500 BK500

APC UPS for Home and Office Forum

Schneider Electric support forum for our APC offers including Home Office UPS, Surge Protectors, UTS, software and services and associated products designed to share knowledge, installation, and configuration.

Solved
taras.shumylo_apc
Cadet
0 Likes

Placement of UPS. Minimum distance between several UPS. Back-UPS 500 BK500

This was originally posted on APC forums on 6/29/2011

Hi.

We have several (about 7 UPS Back-UPS 500 BK500) in out server room, which stay in touch with each other. We have very limited space in our server room and space is critical for us. That's why I want to know - is it OK to place UPS in touch with each other? Please provide links to documentation, as words without prove in documentation are only hypothesis.

I see that there are no ventilation holes on left and right side of UPS - there is only on upper side of UPS. That seems that UPS can stay in touch with each other.

Accepted Solutions
BillP
Administrator Administrator
Administrator
0 Likes

Re: Placement of UPS. Minimum distance between several UPS. Back-UPS 500 BK500

This reply was originally posted by Jonathan on APC forums on 7/1/2011

You are very much welcome, I am glad that I was able to help.

See Answer In Context

5 Replies 5
taras.shumylo_apc
Cadet
0 Likes

This was originally posted on APC forums on 6/30/2011

Hi JonPro

Is it stated somewhere in documentation? Does APC provides information of this kind in documentation?

BillP
Administrator
0 Likes

This reply was originally posted by Jonathan on APC forums on 6/29/2011

Hi Taras,

Normally I would place them with 2~3 inches of gap between one another. This would permit air from flowing and cooling the UPS.

BillP
Administrator
0 Likes

This reply was originally posted by Jonathan on APC forums on 6/30/2011

Hi Taras,

You can find it listed on this APC Knowledgebase - [What is the expected life of my APC UPS battery?|http://nam-en.apc.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/8301/kw/ups%20environment]

APC KBase 8301:
1. Make sure that you keep your APC UPS in a cool, dry location with plenty of ventilation. Ideally, the temperature where your UPS is kept should not >exceed 75° F (24° C). Also, for ventilation purposes, leave roughly one to two inches on each side for proper airflow.

taras.shumylo_apc
Cadet
0 Likes

This was originally posted on APC forums on 7/1/2011

JonPro, very big thank you for that information. Now I have prove for my customer what distance should be between several UPS.

BillP
Administrator
0 Likes

This reply was originally posted by Jonathan on APC forums on 7/1/2011

You are very much welcome, I am glad that I was able to help.