Welcome to the new Schneider Electric Community

It's your place to connect with experts and peers, get continuous support, and share knowledge.

Close
Important Announcement: WELCOME to the new Schneider Electric Community! Community is now no longer part of Exchange, and is now rebranded under se.com. If you have any bookmarks and links saved, we request you to update them to ensure that you continue accessing our community from this new location. For any issues that you might encounter as part of this change, please reach out to SchneiderCommunity.Support@se.com, and the team will help to get your issues resolved.
Invite a Co-worker
Send a co-worker an invite to the Exchange portal.Just enter their email address and we’ll connect them to register. After joining, they will belong to the same company.
Send Invite Cancel
82547members
350156posts

New BE350R - looks used plus clicking question

APC UPS for Home and Office Forum

Schneider Electric support forum for our APC offers including Home Office UPS, Surge Protectors, UTS, software and services and associated products designed to share knowledge, installation, and configuration.

Solved
CELangston_apc
Crewman
Crewman
0 Likes

This was originally posted on APC forums on 1/13/2008

Ok today I purchased a new BE350R from Walmart. Probably not the best play to buy one but we were travelling and I figured it might correct a problem my daughter was having with her DVD player.

When I opened the unit at my car and hooked up the battery the battery pack looked used (scratches and the outer cover looks scratched - not sure this should be so with a new unit).
So should a new unit have scratches on the battery pack and or the bottom cover that is removed?

We have a small car DC to AC power converter unit but my daughters DVD player apparently did not work correctly when connected to this converter. However when hooking up the BE350R to the converter seemed to correct the problem such that the DVD player worked. And it also allowed my 2nd daughter to also use her DVD player at the same time.

The only problem was there was a clicking noise that repeated ever 30sec or so. After reading the forums it appears the converter was having a lot of interuptions causing the APC unit to switch from Power to Battery and back again.

It was a short term solution for my daughter. I plan on using the unit to keep my DVR up and running through short power spikes.

From what I read if I want to use the converter for the car and a APC backup for the DVD players I might want to get a Smart UPS. Unless anyone has a better solution for a steady AC power supply for the car?

Accepted Solutions
CELangston_apc
Crewman
Crewman
0 Likes

This was originally posted on APC forums on 1/14/2008

Ok today I purchased a new BE350R from Walmart. Probably not the best play to buy one but we were travelling and I figured it might correct a problem my daughter was having with her DVD player.

When I opened the unit at my car and hooked up the battery the battery pack looked used (scratches and the outer cover looks scratched - not sure this should be so with a new unit).
So should a new unit have scratches on the battery pack and or the bottom cover that is removed?

We have a small car DC to AC power converter unit but my daughters DVD player apparently did not work correctly when connected to this converter. However when hooking up the BE350R to the converter seemed to correct the problem such that the DVD player worked. And it also allowed my 2nd daughter to also use her DVD player at the same time.

The only problem was there was a clicking noise that repeated ever 30sec or so. After reading the forums it appears the converter was having a lot of interuptions causing the APC unit to switch from Power to Battery and back again.

It was a short term solution for my daughter. I plan on using the unit to keep my DVR up and running through short power spikes.

From what I read if I want to use the converter for the car and a APC backup for the DVD players I might want to get a Smart UPS. Unless anyone has a better solution for a steady AC power supply for the car?

See Answer In Context

2 Replies 2
jscarey_apc
Cadet
0 Likes

Re: New BE350R - looks used plus clicking question

This was originally posted on APC forums on 12/16/2008

As for the condition of the battery pack on the new BE350R, I have the same thing. The battery pack looks used or recycled. I've also noticed APC has shortened the red power lead and swapped sides of the posts on their batteries preventing use of third party replacements. I have several similar units with various clients and always have a spare battery or two on hand for emergency replacement; none will work in the newer units.

Also, I've notice at least one of the Back-UPS 350 units is listed as model BE350R on the box, but labeled BE350U on the bottom of the unit. on the replacement wizard entering the label info will indicate a RBC45 replacement; since there is no BE350R in the wizard, a search indicates replacement battery RBC35 (looks a whole lot more like what I would need).

It used to be that recommending APC or buying APC was a slam dunk. Most of my clients are SOHO; not a major or high profile portion of APC's business I am guessing. I've purchased a couple of CyberPower units that seem to working just as well and no shenanigans with the battery posts. And, no scratches so I'm pretty certain they come with NEW batteries.

Now I catch whatever is on sale since the cost new (or recycled/refurbished--your guess is as good as mine) is less than replacing the battery or upgrading the whole unit especially with shipping costs.

CELangston_apc
Crewman
Crewman
0 Likes

This was originally posted on APC forums on 1/14/2008