Welcome to the new Schneider Electric Community

It's your place to connect with experts and peers, get continuous support, and share knowledge.

Close
Important Announcement: WELCOME to the Schneider Electric Community! We have moved to a new address: community.se.com — bookmark it today and contact SchneiderCommunity.Support@se.com if you have any questions!
Invite a Co-worker
Send a co-worker an invite to the Exchange portal.Just enter their email address and we’ll connect them to register. After joining, they will belong to the same company.
Send Invite Cancel
82697members
350420posts

MATRIX 5000 - NETWORK COMMUNICATION

APC UPS for Home and Office Forum

Schneider Electric support forum for our APC offers including Home Office UPS, Surge Protectors, UTS, software and services and associated products designed to share knowledge, installation, and configuration.

Solved
BillP
Administrator Administrator
Administrator
0 Likes

MATRIX 5000 - NETWORK COMMUNICATION

This question was originally posted by DAN on APC forums on 12/25/2012

We're in the UPS business and over time have accumulated several of these great old Matrix 5000 units. Our youngest unit is from 2004 and has a functional smart slot with a smart card connection within the slot. We want to use this UPS for a couple of months at a site until our customer relocates.
Does anyone know if that smart slot will take an AP9617 WEB card or must it be an AP9606 or perhaps even earlier? We no longer have any AP9606's in stock.
We also have an APC Powernet SNMP Adaptor (Serial Number A9403...) Module that plugs into the serial port on the back of the APC UPS that I presume should also work on this 2004 Matrix UPS. The Module is separately powered from a power supply that plugs into the UPS.
The interface cable to a computer from the Adaptor's Serial port must be female to female as the adaptors Serial port is male, as is the serial port on our old Dell laptop. We have a 940-0103A cable (female/female) used to interface to the relatively new APC Battery Monitoring unit. I'm hoping that cable will work.
Is there anyone around who knows about communications on the Matrix 5000 UPS system?

Tags (2)

Accepted Solutions
BillP
Administrator
0 Likes

Re: MATRIX 5000 - NETWORK COMMUNICATION

This reply was originally posted by DAN on APC forums on 12/29/2012

Thanks VOIDSTAR for your help. We have some AP9617 cards in stock. We'll try it directly in the smart slot of the Matrix unit.

See Answer In Context

3 Replies 3
voidstar_apc
Janeway
Janeway
0 Likes

This was originally posted on APC forums on 12/26/2012

The AP9617 supports the Matrix UPS so I would expect it to work in the SmartSlot.

I'm guessing your module that plugs into the UPS serial port is an APC SmartSlot Expansion Chassis (AP9600) with a AP9605 card installed. It can also accept an AP9617 and other SmartSlot cards. It is intended to be plugged directly into the UPS.

voidstar_apc
Janeway
Janeway
0 Likes

This was originally posted on APC forums on 12/31/2012

If you can't put it directly into your Matrix unit (I'm told really old units don't have the standard SmartSlot slot), then you can put it into the AP9600 expansion chassis and plug that into your Matrix.

BillP
Administrator
0 Likes

This reply was originally posted by DAN on APC forums on 12/29/2012

Thanks VOIDSTAR for your help. We have some AP9617 cards in stock. We'll try it directly in the smart slot of the Matrix unit.