Welcome to the new Schneider Electric Community

It's your place to connect with experts and peers, get continuous support, and share knowledge.

• Explore the new navigation for even easier access to your community.
  • Bookmark and use our new, easy-to-remember address (community.se.com).
  • Get ready for more content and an improved experience.

Contact SchneiderCommunity.Support@se.com if you have any questions.

Close
Invite a Co-worker
Send a co-worker an invite to the Exchange portal.Just enter their email address and we’ll connect them to register. After joining, they will belong to the same company.
Send Invite Cancel
84570members
353843posts

Loss of PoE Connection After Transfer to Generator

APC UPS for Home and Office Forum

Schneider Electric support forum for our APC offers including Home Office UPS, Surge Protectors, UTS, software and services and associated products designed to share knowledge, installation, and configuration.

Solved
ekrengel_apc
Ensign
Ensign
0 Likes

Loss of PoE Connection After Transfer to Generator

This was originally posted on APC forums on 2/15/2010

We have VoIP phones that loose connection after we simulate a transfer to our generator. Nothing else looses power of course...but for the however many milliseconds that it takes to transfer to the generator, PoE is lost.

Is it normal for PoE to loose connection after transferring from load on battery, to a generator? If it's not, what is causing this and how do I prevent it?

Accepted Solutions
ekrengel_apc
Ensign
Ensign
0 Likes

Re: Loss of PoE Connection After Transfer to Generator

This was originally posted on APC forums on 2/17/2010

The Cisco switches, which are UPS protected, provide PoE to the phones (or at least I think). We will have to verify that early morning within the next couple weeks.

It is very possible that those outlets are not UPS protected (even though they are labeled that they are). Our HVAC units shut off for a couple seconds when we transfer over to generator, and could be the same for those other outlets connected to the cisco switches.

Message was edited by: ekrengel

See Answer In Context

7 Replies 7
BillP
Administrator Administrator
Administrator
0 Likes

This reply was originally posted by Angela on APC forums on 2/15/2010

yes i agree it doesnt make sense because as far as i know, that UPS has a 0ms transfer time.

BillP
Administrator
0 Likes

This reply was originally posted by Laurie on APC forums on 2/15/2010

I'm not sure I understand the issue. Do you have a UPS in place now? If so, which model? Depending on the unit, I would expect that if your equipment is connected to the UPS and it transfers to battery fine, it would transfer off of battery (online) fine as well. The equipment wouldn't notice a generator, the UPS would, and then the UPS would go online.

Could you offer some more information about your config?

ekrengel_apc
Ensign
Ensign
0 Likes

This was originally posted on APC forums on 2/15/2010

Yes we have a UPS in place now (Symmetra 40K and 80k).

I actually think this might be more related to our phone system, Shortel. I just doesn't really make sense because we don't loose power to anything else, but the phones loose connection for a second and reboot.

upsguy_apc
Commander
Commander
0 Likes

The phones or POE injectors are probably not plugged into UPS protected outlets so when the generator comes on they loose power during the transfer. I would have someone verify that the outlets they are plugged into are actually UPS outlets.

Message was edited by: upsguy

ekrengel_apc
Ensign
Ensign
0 Likes

This was originally posted on APC forums on 2/16/2010

It's most likely when it transfers off battery, to the generator. The generator has like 33ms transfer time.

BillP
Administrator
0 Likes

This reply was originally posted by Angela on APC forums on 2/16/2010

ah ok

ekrengel_apc
Ensign
Ensign
0 Likes

The Cisco switches, which are UPS protected, provide PoE to the phones (or at least I think). We will have to verify that early morning within the next couple weeks.

It is very possible that those outlets are not UPS protected (even though they are labeled that they are). Our HVAC units shut off for a couple seconds when we transfer over to generator, and could be the same for those other outlets connected to the cisco switches.

Message was edited by: ekrengel