Welcome to the new Schneider Electric Community

It's your place to connect with experts and peers, get continuous support, and share knowledge.

Close
Important Announcement: WELCOME to the new Schneider Electric Community! Community is now no longer part of Exchange, and is now rebranded under se.com. If you have any bookmarks and links saved, we request you to update them to ensure that you continue accessing our community from this new location. For any issues that you might encounter as part of this change, please reach out to SchneiderCommunity.Support@se.com, and the team will help to get your issues resolved.
Invite a Co-worker
Send a co-worker an invite to the Exchange portal.Just enter their email address and we’ll connect them to register. After joining, they will belong to the same company.
Send Invite Cancel
82528members
350132posts

Keep Ups running afer shutdown

APC UPS for Home and Office Forum

Schneider Electric support forum for our APC offers including Home Office UPS, Surge Protectors, UTS, software and services and associated products designed to share knowledge, installation, and configuration.

Solved
dustinhott_apc
Cadet
0 Likes

Keep Ups running afer shutdown

This was originally posted on APC forums on 9/19/2013

Hello all,

I have a Back-UPS pro 1500 connected to a server. Instead of doing all this testing on the server, i have a debian box connected to a Back-UPS pro 1000. My question is: is there any way to keep the battery running after the computer gets shut down by apcupsd. I don't know if this is the proper place to ask this, just giving it a shot.

Accepted Solutions
voidstar_apc
Janeway
Janeway
0 Likes

Re: Keep Ups running afer shutdown

This was originally posted on APC forums on 9/21/2013

For APCUPSd, you can edit the shut down scripts to remove "killpower" (which would cause the UPS to shut down as well). However I think what Angela mentions is that BackUPS also sense power draw and will turn themselves off to conserve battery if there's no power draw. If you want the BackUPS to stay on because you have something else plugged in, then perhaps that will draw enough power to keep the BackUPS from turning itself off.

See Answer In Context

3 Replies 3
BillP
Administrator Administrator
Administrator
0 Likes

This reply was originally posted by Angela on APC forums on 9/20/2013

I believe with Back UPS (versus Smart UPS or anything larger) that when the computer shuts down, it forces the UPS to shutdown no matter how you do it (apcupsd, PowerChute, etc) and whatever setting you choose (keep computer on as long as possible or preserve battery).

SecretSquirrel or Bill P. - could you help clarify/confirm please? Thanks! embarassed

BillP
Administrator Administrator
Administrator
0 Likes

This reply was originally posted by Bill on APC forums on 9/20/2013

HI,

With PowerChute Personal Edition we command the UPS to power down completely once the OS started to shut down. This allow the OS to perform an unattended restart once AC is restored. I looked through the APCUPSD users manual and did not see anything about changing the UPS power off so I assume it is the same as PowerChute. You could check with APCUPSD http://www.apcupsd.com/support.html to see if anyone on there mailing list can help.

voidstar_apc
Janeway
Janeway
0 Likes

This was originally posted on APC forums on 9/21/2013

For APCUPSd, you can edit the shut down scripts to remove "killpower" (which would cause the UPS to shut down as well). However I think what Angela mentions is that BackUPS also sense power draw and will turn themselves off to conserve battery if there's no power draw. If you want the BackUPS to stay on because you have something else plugged in, then perhaps that will draw enough power to keep the BackUPS from turning itself off.