Welcome to the new Schneider Electric Community

It's your place to connect with experts and peers, get continuous support, and share knowledge.

Close
Important Announcement: WELCOME to the new Schneider Electric Community! Community is now no longer part of Exchange, and is now rebranded under se.com. If you have any bookmarks and links saved, we request you to update them to ensure that you continue accessing our community from this new location. For any issues that you might encounter as part of this change, please reach out to SchneiderCommunity.Support@se.com, and the team will help to get your issues resolved.
Invite a Co-worker
Send a co-worker an invite to the Exchange portal.Just enter their email address and we’ll connect them to register. After joining, they will belong to the same company.
Send Invite Cancel
82529members
350133posts

Is it possible to make UPS USB port wireless?

APC UPS for Home and Office Forum

Schneider Electric support forum for our APC offers including Home Office UPS, Surge Protectors, UTS, software and services and associated products designed to share knowledge, installation, and configuration.

Solved
dojjan_apc
Cadet
0 Likes

This was originally posted on APC forums on 5/5/2013

Would it be possible to make the APC software to see the attached UPS using a USB -> WiFi converter ( Wnce2001 or Belkin : Network USB Hub ) via my wireless LAN instead of having to mess everything up with yet another dangling cable?

Also, I'd like to hook up more than ONE computer to the UPS and make it too be able to pick up the shut down signal from the UPS. I could use a regular USB hub, but it d be really really neat to not have more dangling cables behind the desk ... really!

Accepted Solutions
BillP
Administrator Administrator
Administrator
0 Likes

Re: Is it possible to make UPS USB port wireless?

This reply was originally posted by Angela on APC forums on 5/6/2013

Unfortunately, each UPS can only support up to one computer so you'll find the USB hub option will not work even if you try to hook it up.

I also don't know about the wifi converter thing as I imagine we have not tested it. I would not feel comfortable suggesting it without having any experience trying it though. I understand your frustration with all of the cables though I just don't know if the USB signals we use would work through that converter. undecided

See Answer In Context

3 Replies 3
BillP
Administrator
0 Likes

This reply was originally posted by Angela on APC forums on 5/13/2013

Hello - I had sort of assumed you had a Back UPS which is intended for home users which typically have only one computer (besides power users). Thus, for Back UPS it is not supported.

For Smart UPS users, we do have the ability to support this over serial connections currently OR even easier, with a network management card and powerchute network shutdown - eliminating the need for USB altogether but allowing multiple computers attached to one UPS to gracefully shutdown.

dojjan_apc
Cadet
0 Likes

This was originally posted on APC forums on 5/5/2013

Would it be possible to make the APC software to see the attached UPS using a USB -> WiFi converter ( Wnce2001 or Belkin : Network USB Hub ) via my wireless LAN instead of having to mess everything up with yet another dangling cable?

Also, I'd like to hook up more than ONE computer to the UPS and make it too be able to pick up the shut down signal from the UPS. I could use a regular USB hub, but it d be really really neat to not have more dangling cables behind the desk ... really!

BillP
Administrator
0 Likes

This reply was originally posted by Angela on APC forums on 5/6/2013

Unfortunately, each UPS can only support up to one computer so you'll find the USB hub option will not work even if you try to hook it up.

I also don't know about the wifi converter thing as I imagine we have not tested it. I would not feel comfortable suggesting it without having any experience trying it though. I understand your frustration with all of the cables though I just don't know if the USB signals we use would work through that converter. undecided