Welcome to the new Schneider Electric Community

It's your place to connect with experts and peers, get continuous support, and share knowledge.

Close
Important Announcement: WELCOME to the new Schneider Electric Community! Community is now no longer part of Exchange, and is now rebranded under se.com. If you have any bookmarks and links saved, we request you to update them to ensure that you continue accessing our community from this new location. For any issues that you might encounter as part of this change, please reach out to SchneiderCommunity.Support@se.com, and the team will help to get your issues resolved.
Invite a Co-worker
Send a co-worker an invite to the Exchange portal.Just enter their email address and we’ll connect them to register. After joining, they will belong to the same company.
Send Invite Cancel
82121members
349628posts

How much power does a UPS use to recharge?

APC UPS for Home and Office Forum

Schneider Electric support forum for our APC offers including Home Office UPS, Surge Protectors, UTS, software and services and associated products designed to share knowledge, installation, and configuration.

Solved
TomR_apc
Crewman
Crewman
0 Likes

This was originally posted on APC forums on 12/24/2007

Can someone tell me how much power a typical UPS would use while charging. Specifically, I need to know how the charging cycle works once a UPS has kicked in during a power loss and now has had its power supply restored so that it is now in "recharge" mode. I am trying to estimate power usage/needs for an emergency generator. For instance, if we have a power outage and roll out then start up a generator, will the UPCs running off of that generator use the kind of power I think they might? (It looks like a 120V, 12A UPC would charge at 1440 watt load.). Thanks.

Accepted Solutions
TomR_apc
Crewman
Crewman
0 Likes

Can someone tell me how much power a typical UPS would use while charging. Specifically, I need to know how the charging cycle works once a UPS has kicked in during a power loss and now has had its power supply restored so that it is now in "recharge" mode. I am trying to estimate power usage/needs for an emergency generator. For instance, if we have a power outage and roll out then start up a generator, will the UPCs running off of that generator use the kind of power I think they might? (It looks like a 120V, 12A UPC would charge at 1440 watt load.). Thanks.

See Answer In Context

4 Replies 4
TheNotoriousKMP_apc
Sisko
Sisko
0 Likes

Re: How much power does a UPS use to recharge?

Tom,

Can you provide a few base model numbers. The capacity differs based on the UPS, and I should be able to look up the information for you.

TheNotoriousKMP_apc
Sisko
Sisko
0 Likes

This was originally posted on APC forums on 12/26/2007

The 1400 would use 136W for the battery charger.

Are there any other UPS's where the sepcs can be referenced for either yourself, or the thread starter

Battman_apc
Commander
Commander
0 Likes

This was originally posted on APC forums on 1/7/2008

According to APC Doc #504, the Matrix UPS charging power is as follows:

1-2 smartcells: 500 watts

3 smartcells or Smartcell XR : 1000 watts
This is a large amount of charging power - which is why one has to keep close eye on the battery health of Smartcells; if they start getting resistive there is enough charging power to totally melt the cells down...resulting in cracked / swelled cases, clear white "acid" and internal corrosion.

Dave

TomR_apc
Crewman
Crewman
0 Likes