Welcome to the new Schneider Electric Community

It's your place to connect with experts and peers, get continuous support, and share knowledge.

Close
Important Announcement: WELCOME to the new Schneider Electric Community! Community is now no longer part of Exchange, and is now rebranded under se.com. If you have any bookmarks and links saved, we request you to update them to ensure that you continue accessing our community from this new location. For any issues that you might encounter as part of this change, please reach out to SchneiderCommunity.Support@se.com, and the team will help to get your issues resolved.
Invite a Co-worker
Send a co-worker an invite to the Exchange portal.Just enter their email address and we’ll connect them to register. After joining, they will belong to the same company.
Send Invite Cancel
82506members
350103posts

How do I disable battery hibernation on Back-UPS Pro 1500?

APC UPS for Home and Office Forum

Schneider Electric support forum for our APC offers including Home Office UPS, Surge Protectors, UTS, software and services and associated products designed to share knowledge, installation, and configuration.

Solved
burtonsimmons_apc
Cadet
0 Likes

How do I disable battery hibernation on Back-UPS Pro 1500?

This was originally posted on APC forums on 8/21/2014

Hello!

I have a Back-UPS Pro 1500 for my home office.  It was purchased to provide backup power for my desktop computer, phone system (a small Ooma), and internet router/cable modem.  All my phone service goes through the Ooma, which goes through router/cable modem (it's an all-in-one device, for better or for worse.)

What I'm trying to do is this: If the power goes out, I want to gracefully shut down the computer.  I have a laptop and can work from the battery on that, if need be, but the computer sucks a lot of juice that wouldn't be necessary in a battery-powered scenario.  However, I need my phone to work as long as possible, which requires the Ooma and cable modem/router to have battery power as long as the UPS can sustain it. 

The problem I'm encountering is that if my computer is set to shut down via the PowerChute PE software, that automatically shuts down the UPS a couple minutes later: everything goes dead, which is absolutely unacceptable (and an unexpected behavior!)  A little digging and this is apparently a "feature" where I don't get to use my battery to keep things on, unless I want to keep everything on.  Is there any way to set this up so that I can shut down the computer but keep the battery running?  I don't want to leave the computer on; I get about 40 minutes of battery runtime with the computer on, but 150 with it off. 

Or... did I buy the wrong product and I should just return it and look for a solution from a different company?

Thank you!

Accepted Solutions
SherlockShinabarger
Ensign
Ensign
0 Likes

Thanks, I Re: How do I disable battery hibernation on Back-UPS Pro 1500?

Thanks, I also was looking for this.

See Answer In Context

Tags (1)
2 Replies 2
BillP
Administrator Administrator
Administrator
0 Likes

Re: How do I disable battery hibernation on Back-UPS Pro 1500?

This reply was originally posted by Bill on APC forums on 8/22/2014

Hi,

With PowerChute Personal Edition the Back-UPS Pro will be told to power down after the OS does. It is designed that way based on customer feedback. If you would like the OS to shutdown but not the UPS you should uninstall PowerChute and either install APCUPSD

or use the Windows Power Options in the control panel. Both of those solution will power down the OS and leave the UPS running. How to configure Windows Power Option information can be found in Kbases FA159653 and FA159743

Please note that since the UPS is not powered down it will remain running until the battery is exhausted which over time will decrease the battery lifetime and when AC is restored the computer will need to be manually started.

Also, APC Smart-UPS models SMT and SMX provide switchable outlet groups that would allow the computer to be powered down and leave other outlets powered up which would meet your requirements.

SherlockShinabarger
Ensign
Ensign
0 Likes

Thanks, I Re: How do I disable battery hibernation on Back-UPS Pro 1500?

Thanks, I also was looking for this.

Tags (1)