Welcome to the new Schneider Electric Community

It's your place to connect with experts and peers, get continuous support, and share knowledge.

Close
Important Announcement: WELCOME to the new Schneider Electric Community! Community is now no longer part of Exchange, and is now rebranded under se.com. If you have any bookmarks and links saved, we request you to update them to ensure that you continue accessing our community from this new location. For any issues that you might encounter as part of this change, please reach out to SchneiderCommunity.Support@se.com, and the team will help to get your issues resolved.
Invite a Co-worker
Send a co-worker an invite to the Exchange portal.Just enter their email address and we’ll connect them to register. After joining, they will belong to the same company.
Send Invite Cancel
82396members
349899posts

Do Surge Protectors Lose Their Protection Over Time?

APC UPS for Home and Office Forum

Schneider Electric support forum for our APC offers including Home Office UPS, Surge Protectors, UTS, software and services and associated products designed to share knowledge, installation, and configuration.

Solved
The4Bs_apc
Crewman
Crewman
0 Likes

Do Surge Protectors Lose Their Protection Over Time?

This was originally posted on APC forums on 2/23/2008

We have a couple of flat panel TV's, computers, and other electronic devices connected to various surge protectors. Recently we've heard that surge protectors lose their ability to protect against surges over time. The theory goes that each time a surge protector protects against a surge it loses some of its ability to protect against surges. Eventually, the protection is completely gone and you are left with a power strip with no surge protection.

So my questions:
1. Is this true?
2. If so, how can one tell if a surge protector still provides sufficient protection?
3. Is there anything in particular one should look for in a surge protector for any given application? I don't follow the Joule ratings, etc.
4. Are today's devices (I'm thinking of our plasma TV, and LCD TV, Wii, and home theater in particular) better protected by a UPS, where the battery provides a more stable power supply? I'm not interested in protection against power outages per se, just looking for the best protection for these devices. Given how much they cost relative to a UPS, it seems like cheap insurance, but is it overkill?

Thanks,
The4Bs

Message was edited by: The4Bs

Accepted Solutions
The4Bs_apc
Crewman
Crewman
0 Likes

Re: Do Surge Protectors Lose Their Protection Over Time?

This was originally posted on APC forums on 2/24/2008

KVAr, thanks for your reply. Very helpful.

Cheers.

See Answer In Context

2 Replies 2
KVAr_apc
Captain
Captain
0 Likes

The4Bs wrote:
We have a couple of flat panel TV's, computers, and other electronic devices connected to various surge protectors. Recently we've heard that surge protectors lose their ability to protect against surges over time. The theory goes that each time a surge protector protects against a surge it loses some of its ability to protect against surges. Eventually, the protection is completely gone and you are left with a power strip with no surge protection.

So my questions:
1. Is this true?
2. If so, how can one tell if a surge protector still provides sufficient protection?
3. Is there anything in particular one should look for in a surge protector for any given application? I don't follow the Joule ratings, etc.
4. Are today's devices (I'm thinking of our plasma TV, and LCD TV, Wii, and home theater in particular) better protected by a UPS, where the battery provides a more stable power supply? I'm not interested in protection against power outages per se, just looking for the best protection for these devices. Given how much they cost relative to a UPS, it seems like cheap insurance, but is it overkill?

Thanks,
The4Bs

Message was edited by: The4Bs
1. Yes

2. You can't. Some of them have a indicator that tells you if it's completely dead, but it won't tell you the degree of depletion.

3. Best surge protection is based on series non-absorption technology, such as Surge-X and Brick Wall brands, but these are spendy. Everything else is MOV based and they all deplete everytime they absorb a surge.

4. Nope. UPS simply provides what a plug-in surge protector does + battery back up.

If you have a lot of sensitive equipment, you may want to have a whole house protector installed at the panel to protect against outside surge, then continue using plug-in surge protector as usual to protect against surge produced within your house by other appliances.

The4Bs_apc
Crewman
Crewman
0 Likes

KVAr, thanks for your reply. Very helpful.

Cheers.