Welcome to the new Schneider Electric Community

It's your place to connect with experts and peers, get continuous support, and share knowledge.

Close
Important Announcement: WELCOME to the new Schneider Electric Community! Community is now no longer part of Exchange, and is now rebranded under se.com. If you have any bookmarks and links saved, we request you to update them to ensure that you continue accessing our community from this new location. For any issues that you might encounter as part of this change, please reach out to SchneiderCommunity.Support@se.com, and the team will help to get your issues resolved.
Invite a Co-worker
Send a co-worker an invite to the Exchange portal.Just enter their email address and we’ll connect them to register. After joining, they will belong to the same company.
Send Invite Cancel
82396members
349901posts

Design Improvement Needed: BackUPS ES 350

APC UPS for Home and Office Forum

Schneider Electric support forum for our APC offers including Home Office UPS, Surge Protectors, UTS, software and services and associated products designed to share knowledge, installation, and configuration.

Solved
BillP
Administrator Administrator
Administrator
0 Likes

Design Improvement Needed: BackUPS ES 350

This question was originally posted by Colin on APC forums on 3/23/2012

Just a bit of feedback to the folks that design the BackUPS ES units. I've been selling and deploying these for years with my clients and there always seem to be occasional minor changes (usually improvements) to the physical design, but this most recent ES 350 I just ordered - the slide-door for opening and getting at the battery inside is absolutely terrible. Maybe it's just this one unit I have but probably not. The surface of the slide cover has some grip-friendly protrusions (whatever the term is) but the little "button" part that by pressing it would release the lock inside so you can then slide the cover sideways is not doing so, or, if it is, comitting one hand to pressing on this while trying to unstick the whole cover with just one other hand/thumb is not working out here. I'm ready to smash this thing just for spite to be honest as I've been screwing around with it for 20 minutes. So just some feedback to the ES series designers: [assuming I don't just have a defiective unit): Stop trying to improve a physical design that was just fine as it was. This battery compartment cover design is awful.

Message was edited by: viProCon

Accepted Solutions
BillP
Administrator
0 Likes

Re: Design Improvement Needed: BackUPS ES 350

This reply was originally posted by Colin on APC forums on 3/23/2012

Update: nothing a screwdiver can't handle but I should not have to pry a battery compartment cover open this way - sorry for the frurstration vented in the previous post but when you're sitting there in front of a customer and you can't even get a cover lid open it makes you look kinda bad. On the upside, lookis like you guy shave made the battery cable orientation just a bit better for hooking up to the battery. It's still my contention that it should be longer though so one doens' thave to havce such a hard time trying to get 1.5inches of cable connectedto a battery lead.

TGIF!

See Answer In Context

1 Reply 1
BillP
Administrator
0 Likes

Re: Design Improvement Needed: BackUPS ES 350

This reply was originally posted by Colin on APC forums on 3/23/2012

Update: nothing a screwdiver can't handle but I should not have to pry a battery compartment cover open this way - sorry for the frurstration vented in the previous post but when you're sitting there in front of a customer and you can't even get a cover lid open it makes you look kinda bad. On the upside, lookis like you guy shave made the battery cable orientation just a bit better for hooking up to the battery. It's still my contention that it should be longer though so one doens' thave to havce such a hard time trying to get 1.5inches of cable connectedto a battery lead.

TGIF!