Welcome to the new Schneider Electric Community

It's your place to connect with experts and peers, get continuous support, and share knowledge.

• Explore the new navigation for even easier access to your community.
  • Bookmark and use our new, easy-to-remember address (community.se.com).
  • Get ready for more content and an improved experience.

Contact SchneiderCommunity.Support@se.com if you have any questions.

Close
Invite a Co-worker
Send a co-worker an invite to the Exchange portal.Just enter their email address and we’ll connect them to register. After joining, they will belong to the same company.
Send Invite Cancel
84244members
353343posts

Clicking on UPS unit/ Power cuts off, then back on, rapidly

APC UPS for Home and Office Forum

Schneider Electric support forum for our APC offers including Home Office UPS, Surge Protectors, UTS, software and services and associated products designed to share knowledge, installation, and configuration.

Solved
tomstevens55_apc
Crewman
Crewman
0 Likes

This was originally posted on APC forums on 6/20/2007

I have a APC UPS unit that is clicking on and off very rapidly, causing power to be cut on and off. Gosh, I hope it didn't damage my computer. This is a mission critical UPS unit that also powers my router and cable modem. I manually switched the UPS off and reconnected my components to another UPS unit. Is this UPS unit damaged?

Message was edited by: tomstevens55

Accepted Solutions
prince213_apc
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
0 Likes

Re: Clicking on UPS unit/ Power cuts off, then back on, rapidly

This was originally posted on APC forums on 10/3/2008

I think the problem is due to low line voltage for example 190 - 205 V range for nominal line supply voltage of 220 V

It may be either due to some heavy power absorbing devices like electric motor,welding machine,cutter,laser printer etc either by you or someone in your locality.

Best way to avoid frequent on/off of ups unit you should lower the line voltage say 170 V range using a semi automatic voltage stabilizer so that ups can provide AVR boost to 230 V +/- 10% from 150 V ~ 190 V range, so the ups unit will not toggle frequently as 230 +/- 10% is an acceptable line fluctuation.

If you still have problem then use an online ups or some constant voltage transformer or servo stabilizer which can correct line fluctuation under +/- 1%.

See Answer In Context

5 Replies 5
tomstevens55_apc
Crewman
Crewman
0 Likes

This was originally posted on APC forums on 6/20/2007

I have a APC UPS unit that is clicking on and off very rapidly, causing power to be cut on and off. Gosh, I hope it didn't damage my computer. This is a mission critical UPS unit that also powers my router and cable modem. I manually switched the UPS off and reconnected my components to another UPS unit. Is this UPS unit damaged?

Message was edited by: tomstevens55

KVAr_apc
Captain
Captain
0 Likes

This was originally posted on APC forums on 7/26/2007

If you have a laser printer on the same circuit(in control of the same circuit breaker/fse) as rest of the computer equipment, what you described often happens. Many laser printers draws power in pulses causing notches in line voltage. Put the laser printer on a separate circuit even if you have to run an extension cord.

Message was edited by: KVAr

TechnoBob_apc
Cadet
0 Likes

This was originally posted on APC forums on 2/7/2008

Dirtfoot wrote...

Depending on your UPS model, and operating system, you may
be able to use PowerChute software to lower the UPSs
sensitivity to power distortion, and stop the constant
switching.
Re: "...and operating system"

In particular, the PowerChute software is only partially Mac-friendly. Although I can select the option of either preserving battery power or keeping my computer on as long as possible (when the APC UPS is working correctly), I cannot change the sensitivity without buying Windows to run under OS X on my Mac (or, of course, discarding my Mac and buying a new computer).

When I called today about the clicking problem again (it miraculously went away after a few days last time), APC Tech Support guy "Darwin" wanted to know if I was using "a Mac or a +regular+ PC". I told him I was using a regular Mac.

He then repeated what "Alison" had told me previously: this part of the software works only on PCs, and he knew of no efforts by APC to change that situation.

Sgt._Slaughter_apc
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander
0 Likes

This was originally posted on APC forums on 2/7/2008

What BackUPS model are you using? Some have the ability to adjust sensitivity through the front display.

prince213_apc
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
0 Likes

This was originally posted on APC forums on 10/3/2008

I think the problem is due to low line voltage for example 190 - 205 V range for nominal line supply voltage of 220 V

It may be either due to some heavy power absorbing devices like electric motor,welding machine,cutter,laser printer etc either by you or someone in your locality.

Best way to avoid frequent on/off of ups unit you should lower the line voltage say 170 V range using a semi automatic voltage stabilizer so that ups can provide AVR boost to 230 V +/- 10% from 150 V ~ 190 V range, so the ups unit will not toggle frequently as 230 +/- 10% is an acceptable line fluctuation.

If you still have problem then use an online ups or some constant voltage transformer or servo stabilizer which can correct line fluctuation under +/- 1%.