Welcome to the new Schneider Electric Community

It's your place to connect with experts and peers, get continuous support, and share knowledge.

Close
Important Announcement: WELCOME to the new Schneider Electric Community! Community is now no longer part of Exchange, and is now rebranded under se.com. If you have any bookmarks and links saved, we request you to update them to ensure that you continue accessing our community from this new location. For any issues that you might encounter as part of this change, please reach out to SchneiderCommunity.Support@se.com, and the team will help to get your issues resolved.
Invite a Co-worker
Send a co-worker an invite to the Exchange portal.Just enter their email address and we’ll connect them to register. After joining, they will belong to the same company.
Send Invite Cancel
82472members
350044posts

Changing Fuses in a UTS10BI

APC UPS for Home and Office Forum

Schneider Electric support forum for our APC offers including Home Office UPS, Surge Protectors, UTS, software and services and associated products designed to share knowledge, installation, and configuration.

Solved
paulsnyder_apc
Crewman
Crewman
0 Likes

Changing Fuses in a UTS10BI

This was originally posted on APC forums on 3/16/2013

I need to change some of the factory installed 15 amp fuses to 20 amp fuses in my recently installed UTS10BI.  I assume I need to power the UTS10BI down by flipping the circuit breaker off in the main panel that feeds circuits 9 & 10 in the UTS10BI.  That should power down the UTS10BI and allow me to safely remove the cover to the panel and swap out the fuses, correct?

Accepted Solutions
BillP
Administrator Administrator
Administrator
0 Likes

Re: Changing Fuses in a UTS10BI

This reply was originally posted by Secret on APC forums on 3/18/2013

By flipping circuits 9 & 10 you will remove power to that 240v circuit, as well as the User Interface. This will NOT, however remove power to the remaining circuits. I would recommend turning off each of the remaining circuits supplying power to the UTS or secure the main breaker to the Main Electrical panel. Once the fuse has been changed from 15a to 20a, the corresponding circuit will also have to be adjusted through the User Interface.

Not knowing your qualifications, I will say that it is highly recommended you have only a Certified Electrician perform any changes in the Main Electrical panel or UTS panel for personal safety.

See Answer In Context

4 Replies 4
BillP
Administrator Administrator
Administrator
0 Likes

This reply was originally posted by Secret on APC forums on 3/18/2013

By flipping circuits 9 & 10 you will remove power to that 240v circuit, as well as the User Interface. This will NOT, however remove power to the remaining circuits. I would recommend turning off each of the remaining circuits supplying power to the UTS or secure the main breaker to the Main Electrical panel. Once the fuse has been changed from 15a to 20a, the corresponding circuit will also have to be adjusted through the User Interface.

Not knowing your qualifications, I will say that it is highly recommended you have only a Certified Electrician perform any changes in the Main Electrical panel or UTS panel for personal safety.

paulsnyder_apc
Crewman
Crewman
0 Likes

This was originally posted on APC forums on 3/19/2013

Thank you.  With regards to my qualifications, I am just Harry Homeowner.  I will have my electrician perform the changes as you recommend.  Thank you again.

Brian309_apc
Crewman
Crewman
0 Likes

This was originally posted on APC forums on 10/6/2015

I purchased the APC transfer switch in conjunction with a Honda EU6500is generator to address periodic power outages. In the 20 years we have been in the house, we never tripped a circuit breaker. Since having an electrician install this APC unit, we blow a 15 amp fuse (valued at $10.00 each) when using a hair dryer, vacuum, or other appliance requiring high surge watts. Despite the unit being turned off, power still cycles through it. I was going to replace the 15 amp fuses with 20 amp fuses to minimize the blown fuses, but was told it could cause a fire. Has anyone else replaced the 15 with 20 amp fuses and had any issues?  Thanks for your assistance.

RobertS_apc
Cadet
0 Likes

This was originally posted on APC forums on 10/15/2015

Hi Brian, I also have the UTS10BI installed. Sorry to hear that you're tripping fuses inexplicably. I exchanged my 15 amp fuses in my UTS to a 20 amp fuse only if the the corresponding fuse in my main panel was a 20 amp fuse. Circuits in my main panel that was a 15 amp fuse was left a 15 amp in my UTS. I think the potential to create a hazard by increasing the amps without rewiring (expensive undertaking) is a reasonable concern. Personally I had to purchase 4 additional 20 amp fuses at $7.00 each to match what I had in my main panel. I had a electrician install my UTS10BI in June 2015 and it has performed without incident. I think that I read somewhere on this forum that the APC UTS does not work well with GFCI circuits. May I suggest that you verify that's not part of your problem and that you recheck your loads amps and watts on all of your circuits. Good luck Brian.