Welcome to the new Schneider Electric Community

It's your place to connect with experts and peers, get continuous support, and share knowledge.

Close
Important Announcement: WELCOME to the new Schneider Electric Community! Community is now no longer part of Exchange, and is now rebranded under se.com. If you have any bookmarks and links saved, we request you to update them to ensure that you continue accessing our community from this new location. For any issues that you might encounter as part of this change, please reach out to SchneiderCommunity.Support@se.com, and the team will help to get your issues resolved.
Invite a Co-worker
Send a co-worker an invite to the Exchange portal.Just enter their email address and we’ll connect them to register. After joining, they will belong to the same company.
Send Invite Cancel
82165members
349753posts

Batteries heated up

APC UPS for Home and Office Forum

Schneider Electric support forum for our APC offers including Home Office UPS, Surge Protectors, UTS, software and services and associated products designed to share knowledge, installation, and configuration.

Solved
imrancs_apc
Crewman
Crewman
0 Likes

Batteries heated up

This was originally posted on APC forums on 7/28/2011

Hi,

I have APC Smart-UPS 700VA and using two wet batteries with it. For the last one week the batteries get very hot. May be they get overcharged. If this is the reason, is there a way to adjust the charging level so that they won't get heated. Or any other solution?

Thanks,
Imran

Message was edited by: imrancs

Message was edited by: imrancs

Tags (3)

Accepted Solutions
BillP
Administrator Administrator
Administrator
0 Likes

Re: Batteries heated up

This reply was originally posted by Jonathan on APC forums on 8/1/2011

Glad to help.

See Answer In Context

10 Replies 10
imrancs_apc
Crewman
Crewman
0 Likes

Yes, I am using two wet batteries of 65Amp each. Could you please let me know what other information do you need?

Thanks.

imrancs_apc
Crewman
Crewman
0 Likes

JonPro, thanks for your reply. These batteries have been working fine for last couple of months.

As a general question, is there any way to adjust the charging level (to avoid batteries overcharging) ?

Thanks again.

Olin_apc
Ensign
Ensign
0 Likes

What is the float voltage you require and what is the UPS charger giving? I doubt you will be able to control this on such a small UPS. They are not designed to ever work with wet cells afaik. Are the cells drying out much?

imrancs_apc
Crewman
Crewman
0 Likes

This was originally posted on APC forums on 7/29/2011

Olin wrote:
What is the float voltage you require and what is the UPS charger giving?
Not sure about it.
Olin wrote:
Are the cells drying out much?
Yes, cell are drying out very quickly.

Olin_apc
Ensign
Ensign
0 Likes

This was originally posted on APC forums on 7/29/2011

Ok you would need to know this to work out a solution. I would suggest you get rid of the wet cells and obtain a proper apc battery. Presently there may be addition risks running as you are, ie hydrogen build up due to gassing wet cells!

BillP
Administrator
0 Likes

This reply was originally posted by Jonathan on APC forums on 7/29/2011

There were customers who said that they were able to change it, I can't recall the thread unfortunately. But personally I haven't done that and wouldn't do it since it is pre-configured once it comes out of the factory.

imrancs_apc
Crewman
Crewman
0 Likes

This was originally posted on APC forums on 8/1/2011

Okay, thanks for your help. I'll consider replacing wet ones with dry batteries on next replacement.

Olin_apc
Ensign
Ensign
0 Likes

You are using wet batteries?! More details?

BillP
Administrator
0 Likes

This reply was originally posted by Jonathan on APC forums on 7/28/2011

From the looks of it, you might not be using an APC battery. Unfortunately, from our end we wouldn't be able to help you since your configuration is not the standard that we have. Though there are some things that I think might be causing this. The batteries that you have might not be the same rating as with the correct battery that should be in there.

BillP
Administrator
0 Likes

This reply was originally posted by Jonathan on APC forums on 8/1/2011

Glad to help.