Welcome to the new Schneider Electric Community

It's your place to connect with experts and peers, get continuous support, and share knowledge.

Close
Important Announcement: WELCOME to the new Schneider Electric Community! Community is now no longer part of Exchange, and is now rebranded under se.com. If you have any bookmarks and links saved, we request you to update them to ensure that you continue accessing our community from this new location. For any issues that you might encounter as part of this change, please reach out to SchneiderCommunity.Support@se.com, and the team will help to get your issues resolved.
Invite a Co-worker
Send a co-worker an invite to the Exchange portal.Just enter their email address and we’ll connect them to register. After joining, they will belong to the same company.
Send Invite Cancel
82528members
350132posts

BR1500G makes my Seasonic PSU buzzzzzz

APC UPS for Home and Office Forum

Schneider Electric support forum for our APC offers including Home Office UPS, Surge Protectors, UTS, software and services and associated products designed to share knowledge, installation, and configuration.

Solved
bluesun311_apc
Cadet
0 Likes

BR1500G makes my Seasonic PSU buzzzzzz

This was originally posted on APC forums on 5/7/2014

I know why this is. It's simply because the UPS is pushing out a stepped-sine wave, which the power supply doesn't like, but it works.

My question: Is the buzzing "safe"? Or, does the buzz mean it's killing my PSU? The buzzing doesn't bother me, and I suspect it's harmless. It's very short-term anyway, I use the UPS for brownouts and shutdowns on outages.

Any reassurance that the buzz is not going to start a fire or something would be appreciated. smile

Accepted Solutions
BillP
Administrator Administrator
Administrator
0 Likes

Re: BR1500G makes my Seasonic PSU buzzzzzz

This reply was originally posted by Angela on APC forums on 5/7/2014

Hello,

It would not start a fire and as you already sort of mentioned or eluded to, the unit only produces a step approximated sinewave when on battery operation. There has been no evidence to support the idea that the step sinewave could cause damage to the CPU power supply. FYI, the buzzing is essentially the unit's inverter/rectifier circuit.

See Answer In Context

2 Replies 2
BillP
Administrator Administrator
Administrator
0 Likes

This reply was originally posted by Angela on APC forums on 5/7/2014

Hello,

It would not start a fire and as you already sort of mentioned or eluded to, the unit only produces a step approximated sinewave when on battery operation. There has been no evidence to support the idea that the step sinewave could cause damage to the CPU power supply. FYI, the buzzing is essentially the unit's inverter/rectifier circuit.

bluesun311_apc
Cadet
0 Likes

This was originally posted on APC forums on 5/19/2014

Thanks a lot Angela, I was pretty sure it was totally fine. I'm very happy with my BR1500G. The software needs an update though--more urgently than ever now---Uhhhhh Nevermind... wow. As soon as I spend two days troubleshooting why my computer wont wake from sleep properly anymore I see theres a new edition of powerchute... guess I'll check that out and report back.