Welcome to the new Schneider Electric Community

It's your place to connect with experts and peers, get continuous support, and share knowledge.

Close
Important Announcement: WELCOME to the Schneider Electric Community! We have moved to a new address: community.se.com — bookmark it today and contact SchneiderCommunity.Support@se.com if you have any questions!
Invite a Co-worker
Send a co-worker an invite to the Exchange portal.Just enter their email address and we’ll connect them to register. After joining, they will belong to the same company.
Send Invite Cancel
82692members
350417posts

Are APC products suitable for Audiophile equipment support

APC UPS for Home and Office Forum

Schneider Electric support forum for our APC offers including Home Office UPS, Surge Protectors, UTS, software and services and associated products designed to share knowledge, installation, and configuration.

Solved
inspired_apc
Ensign
Ensign
0 Likes

Are APC products suitable for Audiophile equipment support

This was originally posted on APC forums on 3/17/2009

I use dozens of APC UPS's in my computer support business, but am not an EE.

I've had great stereo equipment for years, but just recently started to learn more in a couple of high-end audio forums.

I've always assumed clean power is clean power, and felt a properly sized APC would condition power to an audio amplifier, turntable or CD player just as well as to a PC. A lot of snobs in these groups seem to feel APC is NOT "audiophile" grade.

Is there any reason the collection of components (capacitors, resistors, transistors, etc.) in APC would not be as good at providing power as those brands claiming to be "audio power conditiioners"?

Tags (3)

Accepted Solutions
inspired_apc
Ensign
Ensign
0 Likes

Re: Are APC products suitable for Audiophile equipment support

Thanks, that clears up my questions.

See Answer In Context

inspired_apc
Ensign
Ensign
0 Likes

I understand many amplifiers can present extremely complex high-current loads to the electrical circuit. I'm guessing even a relatively robust computer UPS like an old Back-UPS Pro 1100 would not be suitable.

But for a CD player or turntable, I would think even a 350 and certainly 550, 650, 725 models would suffice unless there si some specific difference with the circuitry that would affect audio properties.

See Answer In Context

Erasmus_apc
Sisko
Sisko
0 Likes

The BE series 350, 550s, etc. pass utility power to the load while the UPS senses that power input is acceptable, and during this time there is nothing in the UPS circuitry that would cause issues with a device such as a CD player. When the Back-UPS series goes to battery they create a stepped-approximated sine wave that can cause sensitive electronic equipment or devices with Power Factor Corrected power supplies to skip or reboot, but if this is just a portable CD player or "boombox" it should be just fine.

I would keep high-end AV equipment away from the Back-UPS series and move towards our AV line of products. If you are restricted by price...you could get away with a Smart-UPS since they are a higher performing brand of UPS (in terms of on battery output, voltage regulation, state transfer times, monitoring, etc.), although they are much less feature "rich" in terms of AV functionality.

See Answer In Context

5 Replies 5
inspired_apc
Ensign
Ensign
0 Likes

Thanks, that clears up my questions.

BillP
Administrator Administrator
Administrator
0 Likes

This reply was originally posted by Angela on APC forums on 3/17/2009

[take a look at our audio/video products here|http://www.apc.com/products/category.cfm?id=15]

those are the products i'd have to recommend for audio video equipment. these products are built to filter noise and sustain themselves under high current situations which a lot of audio video equipment present when they turn on. their internal components are rated to do the job and are advertised to do so.

a regular UPS probably wouldnt handle a high current draw/really fast overload as well as these devices would.

did you have a specific model you were talking about though? that isnt in the AV line up?

Erasmus_apc
Sisko
Sisko
0 Likes

inspired wrote:
I use dozens of APC UPS's in my computer support business, but am not an EE.

I've had great stereo equipment for years, but just recently started to learn more in a couple of high-end audio forums.

I've always assumed clean power is clean power, and felt a properly sized APC would condition power to an audio amplifier, turntable or CD player just as well as to a PC. A lot of snobs in these groups seem to feel APC is NOT "audiophile" grade.

Is there any reason the collection of components (capacitors, resistors, transistors, etc.) in APC would not be as good at providing power as those brands claiming to be "audio power conditiioners"?
Clean power is indeed clean power. There's no real difference between one conditioner that outputs 120v @ 60hz and another unit from another mfg. that has the same output (assuming neither unit has a fault on it), other than potentially having input line "noise" passed along to the load, or allowing feedback or "signals" passed between the load components.

Our APC AV power conditioners and UPS systems have isolated, filtered sets of outlets that are meant to provide the cleanest power possible to the attached load and prevent the passage of signals/transients from one outlet to another. We use high quality MOVs and other surge protection circuitry to allow our power conditioners and UPS systems to have a "let through voltage" that is above and beyond the UL standard for let through/clamp voltages. Our power conditioners/UPS' also have active EMI/RFI noise filtering, and are designed for systems that have high inrush currents such as amps, speakers and subwoofers, and we also provide delayed outlets for such systems to prevent overload or power up in stages to prevent transient feedback or signals between connected components. Our AV power conditioners and UPS' also have Automatic Voltage Regulation through a tap transformer built into the UPS' output, which allows us to "boost or trim" bad voltage to ensure steady output to the load. We also provide a high quality, gold plated AV coax cable to use with the unit (on most AV offerings).

Does APC make the best AV power conditioners? I'm sure some would disagree...but then again there are a lof of people that claim Monster HDMI and AV cables are light years better than regular cables, and there's mountains of evidence against that 😛

You can check out our product offerings here:
http://www.apc.com/products/category.cfm?id=15

inspired_apc
Ensign
Ensign
0 Likes

I understand many amplifiers can present extremely complex high-current loads to the electrical circuit. I'm guessing even a relatively robust computer UPS like an old Back-UPS Pro 1100 would not be suitable.

But for a CD player or turntable, I would think even a 350 and certainly 550, 650, 725 models would suffice unless there si some specific difference with the circuitry that would affect audio properties.

Erasmus_apc
Sisko
Sisko
0 Likes

The BE series 350, 550s, etc. pass utility power to the load while the UPS senses that power input is acceptable, and during this time there is nothing in the UPS circuitry that would cause issues with a device such as a CD player. When the Back-UPS series goes to battery they create a stepped-approximated sine wave that can cause sensitive electronic equipment or devices with Power Factor Corrected power supplies to skip or reboot, but if this is just a portable CD player or "boombox" it should be just fine.

I would keep high-end AV equipment away from the Back-UPS series and move towards our AV line of products. If you are restricted by price...you could get away with a Smart-UPS since they are a higher performing brand of UPS (in terms of on battery output, voltage regulation, state transfer times, monitoring, etc.), although they are much less feature "rich" in terms of AV functionality.