Link copied. Please paste this link to share this article on your social media post.
Posted: 2021-06-2903:44 AM
APC UPS Model Questions and Suggestions needed
This was originally posted on APC forums on 7/1/2010
I need some suggestions based on your expertise with backup power solution. I am planning to get a UPS based on the following load
1. Desktop PC Dell Optiplex 755 (Core2Duo E4500 @ 2.2Ghz)
2. 3 Harddrives inside the Machine
3. 24" inch Dell LCD
4. 4 GB RAM
5. One External NAS Western Digital My book World 1 TB
6. Two External USB 2.0 Harddisk 500GB / 1 TB (Sarotech and Seagate)
7. One External SATA 4 Port Enclosure by Sansdigital (3 ports filled with 1 TB Harddisk) - Not always on.
8. Aztech DSL Modem
9. Linksys WRTSL54GS Wi-Fi Router
Site Voltage : 220 - 230 V ~ 50/60Hz
Planned expansion >= 20 %
In my assumption the max power load in average running condition should be around 280W to 300W.
I am targeting models SmartUPS SUA1500i and SUA1000XLI which according to my load conditions should give me around 1 hour of backup ( with internal batteries which is needed before power restoration , or I can add external batteries for longer runtime support). I cannot seem to find any other major differences in these models when checked thru model compare option on the website except power factor.
1. Please guide me if are they suitable for my use, of course have decided them based on my current budget.
2. Secondly I also want to add network management card to the smart slot interface for remote monitoring of the home power status. If I want to save on it then Is there any proxy software available which can run on the connected PC and can provide access to UPS connected via Serial/USB (PowerChute Personal or Business Edition). There is similar daemon proxy available for Eaton UPSes.
3. I was wondering that is there a hard power reset option present in any of the APC models, or do I have to buy an additional accessory which can work with any of these models which can selectively turn on/off a specific power outlet. It can be based on a time schedule or can be based on other condition like ping response from am specific website. Reason being that sometimes some device (like DSL Modem) need a cold-boot to be reset again for connectivity. There are other devices available in the market specifically for this purpose (which periodically check internet ping / schedule to power-cycle any connected equipment).
4. Is there any custom firmware available which can add any additional functionality to the UPS , like the one mentioned in the previous question.
5. Which UPS model can survive, if in a case I need to use HP LaserJet Cm1017 Color Printer , on UPS back up power.