Welcome to the new Schneider Electric Community

It's your place to connect with experts and peers, get continuous support, and share knowledge.

Close
Important Announcement: WELCOME to the new Schneider Electric Community! Community is now no longer part of Exchange, and is now rebranded under se.com. If you have any bookmarks and links saved, we request you to update them to ensure that you continue accessing our community from this new location. For any issues that you might encounter as part of this change, please reach out to SchneiderCommunity.Support@se.com, and the team will help to get your issues resolved.
Invite a Co-worker
Send a co-worker an invite to the Exchange portal.Just enter their email address and we’ll connect them to register. After joining, they will belong to the same company.
Send Invite Cancel
82506members
350104posts

APC Back-UPS ES 500 shutting down in 5 minutes when 2 5V devices connected.

APC UPS for Home and Office Forum

Schneider Electric support forum for our APC offers including Home Office UPS, Surge Protectors, UTS, software and services and associated products designed to share knowledge, installation, and configuration.

Solved
sim_tcr_apc
Crewman
Crewman
0 Likes

APC Back-UPS ES 500 shutting down in 5 minutes when 2 5V devices connected.

This was originally posted on APC forums on 12/23/2012

I have a APC Back-UPS ES 500.

I have connected two 5V powered devices to it (to the battery backup available sockets). When there is a power outage, UPS shutdown in exact 5 minutes. No low battery warning. It act as the same way when there is no load.

How to fix it?

Thanks,
Simon Mandy

Accepted Solutions
BillP
Administrator Administrator
Administrator
0 Likes

Re: APC Back-UPS ES 500 shutting down in 5 minutes when 2 5V devices connected.

This reply was originally posted by Jonathan on APC forums on 12/26/2012

Simon,

Can you provide the exact scenario that you are experiencing? Is the UPS shutting down after it has ran on battery for 5 minutes or only when there is 5 minutes runtime left? Do you have a PC connected thru the UPS communication cable as well as PowerChute Personal Edition?

See Answer In Context

sim_tcr_apc
Crewman
Crewman
0 Likes

This was originally posted on APC forums on 1/29/2013

Is there anyway to change this setting? In case of a power outage, I want UPS to be running till the battery drains. Equipment I am going to connect would be just a 5V 2A, AC to DC adapter.

See Answer In Context

8 Replies 8
BillP
Administrator
0 Likes

This reply was originally posted by Jonathan on APC forums on 12/26/2012

Simon,

Can you provide the exact scenario that you are experiencing? Is the UPS shutting down after it has ran on battery for 5 minutes or only when there is 5 minutes runtime left? Do you have a PC connected thru the UPS communication cable as well as PowerChute Personal Edition?

sim_tcr_apc
Crewman
Crewman
0 Likes

This was originally posted on APC forums on 1/28/2013

My UPS is connected to a Raspberry Pi using the USB port. OS is Debian based Linux and software used to manage UPS is apcupsd. Raspberry is powered using one of the Power points from UPS. Raspberry Pi's power adapter is 5V 2A AC- DC adapter.
When there is a power outage, in exact 5 minutes UPS gets shutdown. No low battery alarm. I am sure its not because of low battery. If I connect a normal PC it will run for more than 10 minutes before it beeps for low battery.
Its acting as there is no load on the ups, and it shutdown after 5 minutes thinking there is no load.

Thanks,
Simon Mandy

BillP
Administrator
0 Likes

This reply was originally posted by Jonathan on APC forums on 1/28/2013

I am not too familiar with regards to the configuration of APCUPSD, have you tried seeking help from them if there's any setting that needs to be changed?

voidstar_apc
Janeway
Janeway
0 Likes

This was originally posted on APC forums on 1/28/2013

>
Its acting as there is no load on the ups, and it shutdown after 5 minutes thinking there is no load.
>

I think you're right; BackUPS will shut down and conserve battery if there's no load. The Model B uses 3.5W at most.

sim_tcr_apc
Crewman
Crewman
0 Likes

Is there anyway to change this setting? In case of a power outage, I want UPS to be running till the battery drains. Equipment I am going to connect would be just a 5V 2A, AC to DC adapter.

voidstar_apc
Janeway
Janeway
0 Likes

I don't think there's any way to adjust this. The SmartUPS UPSes will run on battery until they are depleted, but they're somewhat bigger and heavier than a BackUPS. I don't know if there's any BackUPS that will stay on at low load.

Perhaps run your Raspberry Pi on batteries? A DC backup like this or straight from batteries as described here.

mazeppa_apc
Cadet
0 Likes

This was originally posted on APC forums on 8/2/2013

There is a setting in Powerchute to make the untit shut down after exactly 5 minutes.  Connect to your ES 500  with Power chute and see if you can modify it.

sreebgl_apc
Cadet
0 Likes

This was originally posted on APC forums on 9/12/2015

I also face exactly similar issue with my ES500. The LED alternates between GREEN & RED on the shutdown. Any method to disable this autoshutdown feature? BTW, I don't have the Powerchute Software with me and the method to configure the UPS. Any help in this regard, please ?